1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

ESPN3 Via Internet But Not Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by festivus, Jun 18, 2014.

1. festivus

festivus Legend

Nov 9, 2008
    So what's the deal with this email that I got yesterday:

Subject: ESPN3 - Not on your TV, but on every device you own
    You now have access to ESPN3 online at WatchESPN.com and via the Watch ESPN app on your smartphone and tablet. ESPN3 provides thousands of live events over the Internet for DISH customers including NCAA football and basketball, plus coverage of the world's top sports. And it's all included with your DISH service on your computer, smartphone or tablet.

I don't remember ever being able to watch a channel via my Dish login online but not having it through my dish.

2. anex80

anex80 Legend

Jul 29, 2005
    Midwest
    ESPN3 is an Internet-only channel. It's not available on anyone's TV.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

3. festivus

festivus Legend

Nov 9, 2008
    Had no idea. Thanks.

4. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Sometimes, ESPN, will send the ESPN3 feed to one of its channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNEws), if there is some kind of conflict with scheduling. For example, a football game running over, because of weather issues. But, other than that, ESPN is exclusively an internet based service.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    There are a lot of games (particularly college sports) that they don't have a channel for, but they have an extra production team... so several years back they launched the ESPN3 online "channel" to broadcast those games. You're not generally going to find "gotta watch" content here... but if you are an uber-fan and want to watch all of your team's games, you might find a game or two early in the season that are relegated to ESPN3.

I hadn't checked, but I actually thought this already was true shortly after we got the WatchESPN features once Dish/Disney agreed to the new contract a while back.