1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ETF for Protection plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by joeshan99, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1 of 14
    joeshan99

joeshan99 AllStar

May 16, 2008
    Just called about A $10 charge on the account and was told since I didn't keep the Protection Plan for 1 year there was a ETF. I told them the Plan was put on there without me agreeing to it when i signed up 6 months ago. The told me they would not take it off. I E-Mailed the general account to see what they will do.

2. Sep 2, 2010 #2 of 14
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    You have 30 days to cancel it, then it is a $10 ETF. They signed my parents up when they signed up for D* a few weeks ago.

We pulled a fast one on D* and actually looked at our bill when it came in the mail, noticed it right away, and we had no problem canceling it and we were not charged a fee since it was within the first 30 days.

3. Sep 2, 2010 #3 of 14
    joeshan99

joeshan99 AllStar

May 16, 2008
    I tried calling and emailed the general email without any luck. I emailed Elins office Because I an upset I spent the 6.99 for 6 months and a 10 charge for something I was never asked if I wanted. I normally dint like when people her email her office unless It's a big problem but this is not a way to do business.

4. Sep 2, 2010 #4 of 14
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Do you not feel that you are partly at fault fo this issue? You paid for the protection plan for 6 months without complaining. And now think it is big problem when they follow their policy and charge you for ending the protection plan?

5. Sep 2, 2010 #5 of 14
    joeshan99

joeshan99 AllStar

May 16, 2008
    No I do admit i am partially at fault. My beef if that they told me my bill would be X amount and it was so i never felt the need to check it because it was the right amount. Then when i call to add ST the CSR said if I cancel the Protection plain it would make my bill cheaper. That was the first time i heard about it. And besides the CSR should have said if you cancel it there is a ETF since he suggested it. I do agree it is our own responsibility to check our bills and contracts but i feel this time i got screwed.

6. Sep 2, 2010 #6 of 14
    beachlover

beachlover Mentor

Feb 27, 2010
    wow....good to know.....marked my calendar to remove....and never did they tell me I was locked in for any term for the protection plan, other than the two year service commitment.....

7. Sep 2, 2010 #7 of 14
    DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I agree that if the CSRs are going to recommend cancelling the protection plan, then they should remind you of the ETF. That's unfortunate. I would say that it's a training issue with the CSRs, except that they are probably never trained to recommend cancelling the protection plan. The CSR likely decided on her own to recommend cancelling, and may not even have been aware of the ETF. (And since you didn't know that you were signed up for it, you had never read the terms and conditions to know that yourself.)

Since you were paying what they quoted, it is probably somewhere in your paperwork that the protection plan was part of that price. It is a shame that it wasn't clearer to you what pieces went into that price when you agreed to it.

All in all, the $10 ETF is still less than 2 months of the protection plan, so if you don't want the plan, you are still ahead by cancelling it.

8. Sep 2, 2010 #8 of 14
    ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    My beef is that the PP policy has 2 dates, the Plan Purchase Date, and the Plan Effective Date. Never really explained which date you had to cancel by if you didn't want to renew.

I called up to cancel and asked the CSR if I would incurr a $10 fee to cancel, she stated it had been a year, so no fee. And then 5 days later, there was the $10 fee. I promptly called up and the CSR gave me a $10 credit to offset the charge. The CSR stated the Plan Effective Date is the date to go by.

9. Sep 2, 2010 #9 of 14
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I hope we all can learn a valuable new lesson here: open your bills and read them!

10. joeshan99

joeshan99 AllStar

May 16, 2008
    Recived a call fro Direct tv and after speaking to a nice young man he credited back all of the Protection plan charges from day one. I told him I was just trying to get the $10 ETF waived becuase i know i should have checked my bill every month. He said he didn't want me to pay for something i didn't know i had.:)

11. scrybigtv

scrybigtv Godfather

Jan 25, 2008
    Is this something new that DTV is doing? When I came aboard 2.5 years ago, I didn't automatically receive the PP. I wasn't asked if I wanted it and I didn't get billed for it. I always thought you had to specifically request the PP.

12. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That is going above and beyond. I'm glad they did that for you!

13. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    To shed a little bit of light on what probably happened here..
    We need to start with Directv. They offer the protection plan, an enhanced customer support service run by an outside company. These agents at the (protection plan department) have a GREAT deal more training in the D* system, troubleshooting, etc. than your average D* CSR. Thus, the customer gets "free" service calls, replacement equipment and so on. And D* gets a whole segment of customers who can more or less solve most of their own problems over the phone. Preventing service calls.

So, D* saves resources and money, and even makes a little on top. Nothing wrong there, it's a smart move.

On the Home Services end the HSP's are pushed to have their technicians "sell" the protection plan to their customers. They're actually held to a 35% minimum metric for their DPP sales. This is where the process has gotten sticky. In the past, and maybe even for some part today, some technicians have "slammed" or forced DPP onto the customers account without approval.

This is probably what happened here. D* is very aware of the issue, and since then there is more than one form that has to be filled out by the customer to confirm to the HSP their desire to add DPP to their account.

The thing to remember here is that it is the technician at fault here, not D*, not the HSP that the tech works for. The technician, in a very technical but real sense, committed fraud against their customer. Which if found, is immediate grounds for termination.

14. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    That's what I would have thought happened, except the OP said that his bill was the exact amount that he had been quoted. That means that however he ordered DirecTV (CSR, online, dealer...) must have included it in as well.