1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ETF Question...unique situation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Smitty20, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Smitty20

Smitty20 Cool Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Here's the scenario:

Currently have a DTV account in good standing since 2004. Moving to VA for 18 months, but want to keep my DTV active in my current home in TX.

So, I was going to start a brand new account in VA and take advantage of the July 21st NFL ticket offer.

Now, I'll be moving back to TX in 18 months....At that point can I just suspend my VA account for the last 6 months and avoid any early termination fees? And will I be able to keep/transfer my new VA receivers to my TX account, or will I have to return them?

I leave in 2 days, so any response would be appreciated.

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Pretty sure it's no on both counts.

When you suspend service, your commitment clock is suspended as well.

As for the receivers, when you go and cancel your VA account, they will want those receivers back.

3. Smitty20

Smitty20 Cool Member

Oct 5, 2006
    So, I guess my only option is to "move" my account to VA, or take the 6 months of ETF at the end of my 18 months.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Just take it with you. Unless you have a second identity, which I'm pretty sure is still illegal in the US, you cant just move and start a new acct to try and qualify for new customer offers.

5. GodisGreat79

GodisGreat79 Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    What you could however do once you begin to move back to TX just cancel the TX account then use Movers connectors to move from VA to TX.

6. Smitty20

Smitty20 Cool Member

Oct 5, 2006

Actually, you can do that. I specifically asked. Not only that, the CSR told me I could refer myself and get the $50 as well.

7. Smitty20

Smitty20 Cool Member

Oct 5, 2006
    This is an idea...would I be required to return my TX receivers to DTV once I cancelled it, or could I keep them...do you ever actually *own* your receivers anymore, or is that a thing of the past?

8. GodisGreat79

GodisGreat79 Legend

Jun 12, 2006
    Are the receivers in TX all old receivers from 2004 without upgrade? if they are then I believe they are yours.

9. josetann

josetann Legend

Oct 2, 2006
    Not exactly sure how this would work, but you can have receivers in two different locations on one account. Basically you'd get billed for two services (since you'll have receivers in two locations) but just one account. I'm not sure if there'd be any kind of commitment for the extra receivers, or if you could simply move those receivers back to TX and avoid any ETF. All I know is that you can have receivers in two locations on one account (can even have different sub levels).

Do you have a SO? If they haven't signed up for DirecTV before, then they'd definitely qualify for the new customer offers. I see no reason why you couldn't have an account in TX, have your SO start a new account in VA, and get the referral credit. With the referral credits and new customer offers, that might help offset any ETF fees you'd have.

If you have a fast internet connection both ways and don't care about high-def picture quality or having a 10+ second remote lag, you can always go the slingbox/hava route. Basically all receivers would be in TX (so any extra receivers you may have would only be $5/mo more), and you'd watch them over the internet. That's what I'm doing now in Alaska, since it'd be way too much hassle to setup the dishes needed for the few months we'll be here.

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    This is not correct.

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    To do this without violating the agreement would be to setup a movers with a second account to VA. You will have 2 bills.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    One thing to consider if you decide to use Mover's Connection to move your setup to VA and then back to TX after the 18 months--I believe you can only use them once every 24 months. You will want to check the fine print on that.

- Merg

13. JD*

JD* Mentor

Feb 12, 2009
    Actually, it's 12. T&C quote:
    "Offer available once in any 12 month period for qualifying customers only"