1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethernet -AND- DECA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by waylonrobert, Jul 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. waylonrobert

waylonrobert AllStar

Apr 22, 2010
    I asked this question in another thread, but have not received a response. Is it possible to use BOTH DECA and ethernet? Reason being I have a receiver outside that I don't want to bother running ethernet lines to. The receivers inside have ethernet lines running to them from a wiring closet. Can I call/e-mail to enable ethernet, but then also use DECA simultaneously, or can you only use one connection method?

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It is possible to do this. However, you will HAVE to have a DECA to bridge your home network (Ethernet) and MoCA (the Coax network). Then you will need DECA (or built-in DECA) for the receiver outside. Once you've done this, everything will be connected.

So at a minimum, you would need a 24 or DECA @ the receiver, a second DECA for connecting to your router and a power inserter for the second DECA. Plus you would need to have SWiM already in place.

3. waylonrobert

waylonrobert AllStar

Apr 22, 2010
    Excellent. So basically, so long as MRV is enabled on my account, it doesn't matter which connection method I use (with the exception being I must have SWiM setup, which I do)?

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Oh, No .. DECA at it's basic level is merely the data-link layer (layer 2). At the end of the day, the DVRs still use TCP/IP just like Ethernet which is layer 3. So you're all good from that perspective.

5. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    As Doug noted, you can even run a hybrid network. I have two dishes. One has an HR20-100 with a WET610N wireless adapter on it, non-SWM, non-DECA. The other dish has HR20-700, HR21-200, H21-200 in a SWiM/DECA set up.

The non-decatized HR20-100 works just fine for MRV with the fully decatized other 3 units. Of course, wireless MRV doesn't work as well as the DECA units, but it does work. I don't use the HR20-100 much for MRV, so it is a minor consideration. I basically included it because I could.

When they came to do the setup, I just told them to ignore the 2nd dish and associated HR20-100. They did, and it worked for MRV without any intervention on my part. I should mention that I had a perfectly functional MRV system prior to the DECA install (using wired ethernet/wireless N)