1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Ethernet - do I need it connected or not?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Steve Rhodes, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Steve Rhodes

Steve Rhodes Godfather

Oct 4, 2006
    I have 1 HR34 and 4 HR24s. Two of the HR24s have hardwired Ethernet attached while 2 of the HR24s and the HR34 do not. I am having connectivity issues with the Whole Home.

Do I need the Ethernet connected or not?

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    The only unit you can connect directly to Ethernet in this system is your HR34. You can not connect your hr24s directly to Ethernet. Unplug them and reboot them. If you cannot connect your HR34 directly, then you must get a DIRECTV Wired Broadband Internet Connection Kit to connect the system to the Internet.

All this does assume you are using a single dish and a swim16 to connect all your system as well,which is what you should be using.

Oh and you don't need Internet to use Whole Home Service, but you do for all the on demand and other he extra stuff that's available on the all the DVRs.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    These are both false statements. You can, as an alternative to the built-in DECA, choose to connect via CAT5.

If it was the TS's intention to use DECA, your disconnect and reboot advice is required to switch to DECA.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I'm right, his system as implemented needs to have Ethernet disconnected form two units. Then rebooted those dvrs. I did not feel the need to explain in dire detail why that is so, it's not what he asked. He asked a simple question, I gave him a simple answer that will satisfy what he needs to do. Find someone in the dish threads to confuse.

3 people like this.
  5. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    OK. As was initially replied undoing the Ethernet connection from the two that have it and rebooting will rest these to use DECA like the other units already are.

If there are some considerations where these units need be on the switched Ethernet fabric this is possible but complex and not supported.

I run dual SWM16s and have one running a DECA cloud and the other provides service to systems on a switched Ethernet fabric. These two network fabrics bridge transparently through the wireless internet connection kit (running wired only) into a centralized backbone switch. This is not an official configuration and the two fabrics must be completely isolated from one another (with respect to the DECA band frequencies) so they bridge at the single point.

If you have reasons why the two 24s cannot be on the DECA fabric (amplified leg due to excessive length as an example) I can help you privately. But unless you have truly mitigating circumstances, putting them all on the DECA fabric REALLY is your best option!

Don "simplicity is best" Bolton

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    False statements? Perhaps on Dish Network world. I let the TS decide if he wants to "listen" to a person who has never have DirecTV® or to one that had had the DirecTV® service for many years.........

7. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You can't mix & match whole home - it's either all Ethernet or all Coax

Plug the Ethernet into the HR34 as Genies are the only HR that have an internal bridge. Or you need to get a DECA/CCK to connect to your home LAN.

8. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Our friend Lugnut would disagree with you . . . you can have boxes on Ethernet or the DECA cloud easily. You just have to know what you're doing.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    But getting it work faultlessly with DirecTV flaky software is the big Q.

You want faultlessly - follow the KISS principle.

10. lugnutathome

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    It is actually transparent Drew. In order for the "legacy" equipment to work with adapters it has to be the same packets. Smart TVs and the RVU push pretty much ensure that standard will be adhered to going forward.

The interconnection issues arise as most service techs let alone home subscribers do not fully understand what they need to know to make the hybrid beast work. I was brain dead in that matter when I started. switched Ethernet was just fine thank you. Why go back to networking's stone age on coax? :) Actually a complete end to end infrastructure they control and manage is great logic! OMG. My internal dash light came on. :)

People here edumacated me as did my network engineers at work and as such I have a unique understanding of the rules for doing what I have had to do to make my Hacienda del Toro abode work as I want. I'm still no expert on the technical how it works but I get the logical and that is enough.

I am with your thinking for everyone's home deployment though. Unless they have a "Winchester house" like mine. Use what is supported. And if someone has a deployment like mine well I am glad to share what all of you have shared with me.

Don "so even though it can work bridged, i'll back your play. A simple as possible and fully supported ROCKS" Bolton

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Most likely this installation involves a SWM-16 due to the number of tuners in the system. A proper installation would also add a DECA for connection to the Internet. The use of CAT-5 in this situation, while noble, would require one to (1) know what they are doing and (2) go against prescribed installation requirements.

Since the pain point is MRV (whole home), the proper answer is to disconnect all Ethernet connections and restart all receveivers. Whole Home should start working right away (assuming no other oddities in the coax connectivity). To also enable Internet features, a DECA connection would be added.

As stated many times in the past, while CAT5 may work .. it's really not the right way to go for these installations. Bringing it up time and time again only distracts from best practices.

1 person likes this.
  12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Depends, connect two Genies on ethernet and you have yourself a network loop

1 person likes this.
  13. lugnutathome

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Would that be true if there was no secondary DECA connection involved? Seems to me both Genies would function normally on a switched network as long as they weren't also towing DECA networking as well.

Again, I think it could work but it is so far out of standard and for absolutely everyone rather dumb to try:)

Don "I certainly ain't tryin it thats for sure" Bolton

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Keep in mind that there is no way to disable the DECA on the Genies, is always ON. It happened to my two HR44s. Granted, I did not seem to see any errors on my network, but they reported "network loop" under the "more system info" screen with an exclamation point

15. lugnutathome

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    BS filter isolate one Genie to just Ethernet and let the other manage DECA.

Don " Not that I am recommending this" Bolton

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right, but that would mean going to the van to grab one of these bad boys, I just did the easiest thing, unplug ethernet from one of the Genies. I was just trying to "illustrate" a point.

1 person likes this.
  17. lugnutathome

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Gotchya!

(My spare parts shelves down by the wall-o-SWMs is likely like the stash in one's service truck. As I run a non supportable commercial scale installation on a residential account I have amassed a complete set of replacements fron the slope equalizer down through the SWMs themselves) I wish that on nobody :)

Don "band stops, diplexers, and jumper coax OH MY :) " Bolton

18. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Hybrid can be done but it's complex and not at all recommend becasue there's virtually no advantage unless you have a massive system.

19. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This ^ we can agree on...

20. lugnutathome

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    YUP!