1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Ethernet MRV 2 HDDVR's, one not seeing the other

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by heebzman, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1 of 36
    heebzman

heebzman Cool Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Hey guys,
    Sorry if this has been asked or covered, and search didnt really help as I was having a hard time simplifying what I wanted to ask. Here is my issue.
    I have two HR23's connected via wired ethernet running through a DLINK DIR-655. I have had this working for years since the beta testing with no issues.

Recently my living room box does not see the bedroom box. It connects to the internet, and I have restarted the box numerous times but it will not show the other connected HDDVR.

The bedroom box sees the living room box no issue. I can view and play living room recorded shows, etc.

Normally I would say that the living room box is having network issues and go from there but system tests as well as downloading on demand content tells me otherwise. Like I said I had re-run network set up and restarted the box but still it does not see any other networked box. I am kind of at a loss. There has been no changes to my network, everything is running fine (I have numerous wired and wireless items).

Any ideas or something I am forgetting ?

Thanks

2. Feb 8, 2013 #2 of 36
    carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Are you using static IP or dhcp? If regular dhcp you might try either reserving the IP addresses for your DVRs (in your router), or switching to static IPs. Also make sure you have not turned off sharing in the one DVR (under the whole-home menu in setup). And, make sure your list is not set to local only.

3. Feb 8, 2013 #3 of 36
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    +1

- Merg

4. Feb 8, 2013 #4 of 36
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Have you restarted the other one yet?

5. Feb 8, 2013 #5 of 36
    heebzman

heebzman Cool Member

Aug 4, 2007
    sharing is turned on, however I am not using a static IP for them. Like I said I have had these running with literally zero issues since we could beta test MRV.

I thought I did at one point try restarting the bedroom DVR, but maybe not. I am not at home but I will try that as soon as I can.

Thanks

6. Feb 8, 2013 #6 of 36
    Rent_Share

Rent_Share AllStar

Aug 31, 2011
    There should be a reset button on the router, requiring a paper clip to depress

7. Feb 8, 2013 #7 of 36
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Verify that the bedroom receiver has sharing turned on. Then verify that the living room box is showing the playlist for all receivers and not just the local receiver.

If that is good, try a reset of the router and then rerun network setup on each receiver.

- Merg

8. Mar 4, 2013 #8 of 36
    VelvetUn

VelvetUn Mentor

Aug 2, 2007
    I'm having the same problem as the OP. I'm on ethernet, with the family room hardwired and the bedroom on wifi. The bedroom can see the family room, but not vice-versa.

I also have had this setup for awhile, with minimal issues. I have reset the router and re-ran the network setup on both receivers. As of now, the bedroom can still see the family room, but not the other way around. I have quadruple checked, and both dvrs have sharing on.

My family room DVR is on a static IP, but not the bedroom.

Any ideas?

9. Mar 4, 2013 #9 of 36
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Make sure that the Family Room DVR PlayList is not set to show only the local playlist.

Also, why do you have one DVR with a static IP address and the other using DHCP?

- Merg

10. VelvetUn

VelvetUn Mentor

Aug 2, 2007
    I have restored the network setting defaults and re-run the network setup and now I am getting an error 22, but my bedroom DVR can still see the family room list.

I have looked at a few Error 22 threads and tried some of the solutions (no IP conflicts, restarting and running system test) without luck. I can still DOD from the family room and the playlist is still visible on the bedroom. At Merg's suggestion, I removed the static IP on the family room, which is when the Error 22 began.

Here are the network settings.

Family Room:
    IP: 192.168.0.5
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS: 192.168.0.1

Bedroom:
    IP: 192.168.0.5
    Subnet: 255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DNS: 192.168.0.1

Thank you for the help.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Two receivers can''t have the same IP address.

12. VelvetUn

VelvetUn Mentor

Aug 2, 2007
    You are correct, sorry.

Bedroom is 192.168.0.4.

Subnets are both 255.255.255.0 though.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So "now we know" what isn't the problem. :eek2: :lol:

It isn't clear if you've rebooted the receivers after resetting the network defaults.

14. VelvetUn

VelvetUn Mentor

Aug 2, 2007
    Have now done a reset from the menu (not red button) but still have the 22.

Network info (IP, subnet, etc) all stayed the same.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm "out of tricks"
    I've been using DECA for a few years, but back before I had it, there was a time when one DVR couldn't see the others [or the others could see it]. DirecTV2PC had no problem, but MRV did.
    It turned out to be my router.

16. waylonrobert

waylonrobert AllStar

Apr 22, 2010
    Do you have other networked devices on the same subnet? If so, are you having any issues with them? If so it could be your router.

17. VelvetUn

VelvetUn Mentor

Aug 2, 2007
    As far as I can tell the subnet is the same on the computer I'm using and both DVRs (255.255.255.0). I thought the subnets needed to be the same so each device could be seen on the network, should they be different?

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "no" if they are then they can't see each other.

Do you have a switch "laying around"?

If so, then you could try it instead of your router. Resetting network defaults, or if they're still in default, and rebooting all the receivers will have them change their IPs to 169.xxx, and a subnet of 255.255.0.0
    It may take a while for the receivers to find each other, but after a while they will and if you no longer have the problem, it points to it being the router.

19. Vin

Vin Legend

Mar 29, 2004
    One of his DVRs is connected via Wi-Fi.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Well that doesn't help, but was it the one with the problems?