1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Ethernet over Coax

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by bobneedshelp, Jul 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. bobneedshelp

bobneedshelp Cool Member

Oct 25, 2007
    I have Directv whole house coverage now and this has left several open coax connections. I would like to run at least 100 MB ethernet over coax on the unused connections. This will be on coax that will no longer be connected to the Directv coax signals. I do not want to have powered adapters for the ethernet to coax conversion. The coax runs are no more than 50 feet. Any ideas for adapters? Will the adapters from Directv work? Any ideas that are cost effective? I saw some Dualcomm devices that looked like they would work for about $90.

2. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    If you're using standard MOCA, I don't believe that the DirecTV adapters will work. I'm pretty sure that DirecTV was already using the frequencies required by MOCA, which is why they need to develop their own methodology (DECA).

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    99.99% of the adapters that you seek would require some form of power to them. You can use the DirecTV® DECA adapters but they of course, need their own power supplies

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    DECA is MoCA. MoCA supports a number of bands. Cable uses D band, since it is above the range cable TV uses. Directv uses E band, Dish uses F band (too bad Directv wasn't smart enough to use it, F band could share the coax with OTA)

bobneedshelp: The only thing you have to do is use the same hardware on all your unused connections, since while DECA is MoCA, it uses different frequencies and can't interoperate with devices branded as "MoCA".

Even with buying the power supplies, buying Directv DECAs for $3.99/ea off EBay is probably the cheapest solution. It doesn't matter whether you get the white ones or the black ones, they're interchangeable.

5. bobneedshelp

bobneedshelp Cool Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Thank you for your replies.

So if I am reading this correctly, I could purchase DECA 2 BROADBAND DCA2PR0-18 and connect this as follows:
    First device has 3 connections: 1-power supply, 2-network router, 3-coax.
    Second device would be: 1-power supply, 2-network device, 3-other end of coax.

Is this correct? Do both ends need power?

Wouldn't this Dualcomm device do the same thing without power? It would cost maybe $70 instead of $40 however.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Your assessment is correct. Both ends would need power supplies.

I have not used the device on the link, so I wont comment on it.

7. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I don't have DirecTV, but I have a house full of DECAs with power supplies for about $10 per node, nowhere near $40 for a pair. Works great. Deals are plentiful on eBay.

8. bobneedshelp

bobneedshelp Cool Member

Oct 25, 2007
    What kind of throughput are you getting? Do you get 100 MB with your DECA connection?

9. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I checked when I first installed it many months ago, and that's about what I got. I use it to stream 1080p video to 4 other TVs and to network a couple of computers. I've never had any throughput issues. I use it on my second floor where it would be difficult to run cat5/6.

There are faster options, but DECA is the best bang for the buck and very reliable. Here's a little write up I did a while back. Links are probably out of date.
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1473583-deca-cheap-alternative-moca-htpcs-extenders.html

The ones you linked are exactly what I use, although I shopped around until I found them for a lot less, like this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DIRECTV-BROADBAND-DECA-2-DCA2PR0-01-FOR-SWM-ONLY-MWR-ON-DEMAND-RECEIVER/161199692131

I think I have about 6 or 7 of them now. In my house, since I don't have DirecTV, I just had to make sure to keep my DECA network physically isolated from my CATV network.

10. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    At 3 watts per adapter, DECA adapters aren't as evil as the things you're plugging into the Ethernet. And at $6 each / shipped on eBay, it takes a few years to burn up something equivalent to a $70-90 purchase.

11. bobneedshelp

bobneedshelp Cool Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Is there anything I should know about the various adapter part numbers like:
    DCA2PRO-18
    DCA2PRO-01
    DCA2SRO-18

12. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    In my experience, all are functionally identical. I think the 18 is just a newer model. The SRO model does NOT include a power supply (that's why they're cheaper). You need a power supply at each node which is not connected to a DirecTV box. From what I've seen, buying power supplies separately is quite a bit more expensive than just buying PRO's to begin with.

13. bobneedshelp

bobneedshelp Cool Member

Oct 25, 2007
    I purchased 2 of the DECA 2 BROADBAND DCA2PR0-18 for about $10 each. Set it up on the line and could get at least 100Mb throughput (basically as fast as my internet connection). Thanks for all of the help!