1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethernet over Copper

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Sharkie_Fan, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Just curious.... We have a T1 line to our office here. We had DSL before that. We're really close to the CO, and our DSL was super fast. T1 has been solid, and we do VOIP with it, but the 1.5 Mbps is a little slower than we're used to with the DSL....

So, when Megapath called up the other day to renew our contract on the T1, we mentioned the speed "issue", and he said that Ethernet over Copper is available in our area. I hadn't heard of that before...

I'm wondering, from some of you who are more familiar with the technologies out there... Plusses and Minuses to switching to Ethernet over Copper? It's 3 Mbps both directions, as opposed to 1.5 on the T1, which is the attraction for us... Just curious if there are any pitfalls we should be aware of?

2. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
  3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not familiar with the particular offering... but isn't most Ethernet on copper anyway?

All the Ethernet wiring I've ever seen was twisted pair copper wiring... so this doesn't seem like a new thing to me... just maybe a new thing to be describing/offering in this way.

4. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Interesting. Sounds like a value choice for those who don't need the speed available (or the cost) to them via fiber. I don't see it being an issue, we just don't use it.

5. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Sigh.

I remember when T1 was something like $1500/mo for a company. Now I have fiber at speeds twenty times faster than old T1 and I'm paying $45/mo for it. My ISP sells business solutions for under $200/mo.

6. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I used to love coming in to work because of the 'fast' T1 speeds. Like you, my home is about 20x faster than my work network ($42/month).

Now I just want to go home.