1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ethernet splitter?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by spartanstew, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Didn't know which forum to post this off-topic question in, so here goes:

I have an ethernet cable running to my equipment area (it runs from the wiring closet in a spare bedroom through the attic and drops down from the ceiling behind a false wall where all my equipment in the HT is). It's just a loose cable that is connected to the back on my HR20. I also have a Toshiba A2 HD DVD player that needs an internet connection occasionally to get updates.

It's somewhat of a pain to wheel out my equipment rack and unplug the cable from the HR20 and plug it into the A2 when I need to force an upgrade (it's also somewhat of a pain to unplug it from the HR20 when a CE download results in hang-ups).

I would imagine there must be some type of ethernet splitter that I can use to connect them both from one line? Anyone know where I can get one? It can have a manual switch, because both pieces of equipment wouldn't need to access the internet at the same time.

Thanks

2. dalepm

dalepm AllStar

Feb 3, 2007
    You need an Ethernet switch. There are some in $20.00 to $30.00 range.

3. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Best Buy and places like that?

4. wwfman98

wwfman98 New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    There is no way to split ethernet but you should be able to use any ethernet switch. You can usually get one with 4 ports for fairly cheap.

5. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Thanks wwfman.

:welcome_s to the forum

6. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Others have suggested switches, which are reasonably inexpensive these days, but you can get a simple repeater/hub (with at least 3 ports obviously) for somewhere around $5 or thereabouts, even for a 10/100 type. It's a real 'giveaway' item.

IF you're on a real budget..!

7. dalime

dalime Mentor

Jul 25, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.