1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eugene Oregon HD Locals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Wisegoat, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    So my family and I have finally moved from crowded SoCal to green and clean Eugene, Oregon! I knew coming up here that locals were not in HD over DirecTV (they appear to be on Dish, but I am not changing, just for locals). I have put up a set of rabbit ears and they work OK (not great, but the channels do come in). Not the optimal setup and now I need to get an AM-21 for the master bedroom and another set of rabbit ears (the WAF at this point is below zero). We get the ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, My Network and PBS affilliates which are all broadcasting in HD.

Does anyone have any ideas a) when locals are coming to Eugene (the 2nd largest market without HD locals on DirecTV) and b) why they have not done so already?

I love living here so far and have gotten a great job (which is near impossible in this economy anywhere) and have no plans to ever leave. I just want my locals in HD over the sat (and Comcrap Sports Northwest in HD, but that is being discussed to death in another thread).

Thanks in advance!

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    One of the stations, KVAL, is owned by Fisher who was recently uppity with DISH Network.

Are you freezing your LNB off yet?

3. jj4vr

jj4vr New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Man you got my hopes up with that title lol

Moved my family up to Roseburg from SoCal 4 years ago and have been waiting for HD locals too. Rabbit ears don't work for us and we only get a single waiver for ABC.

We switched for a time to Dish when they got HD locals but ended up switching back for various reasons. However, Dish was kind enough to offer us an HD locals only package for a very low cost. Might be an option for you?

4. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Yeah, gotta get used to no longer being in an O&O market. These little broadcasters have way too much power and act like little gods. I can't understand why they wouldn't want to expose their product to as many people as possible and ensure their signals are on DirecTV.

Froze last weekend, as we moved in to our house on a Friday and the gas company doesn't work weekends, so wouldn't turn on the heat and hot water until Monday. Cold weekend with no showers and many layers of clothes. Had to scrape ice off the windshield this morning. Will have to get used to that!

WAF is bad enough with rabbit ears. Adding another bill and receiver and dish would send her through the roof! If we end up staying in this house for a while, I will just suck it up and add an OTA to the roof and pull a little coax. Rabbit ears work, for the most part. Sometimes have to adjust them a little, but better than watching the horrid SD version on DirecTV.

5. Eksynyt

Eksynyt Icon

Feb 8, 2008
    I doubt it ever happens to be honest. Eugene is too small of a market for DirecTV to care about. And CSNNW will never be on satellite either because neither satellite provider considers Oregon large enough to worry about. Literally one of the worst places to live in the nation when it comes to sports because of all of the disputes.

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  7. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Yep, I've been working toward moving the the Oregon coastline for a few years after I took early retirement. The area around Florence was my main focus, but it's in the Eugene DMA; just a few mile north (next zipcode over) and you're in the Portland DMA.

But it's no big deal to have twin systems; way before DirecTV did SD-LIL's (crca 1998-2001) I had Dish in San Francisco for that purpose (still have the old equipment), and would/could do so again if put in the same situation if HD locals aren't available on DirecTV.

As it stands right now, though, I'm narrowing my focus on the Walfport area (in the Portland DMA). But I may go further south to Coos Bay... if that then I'm really out of luck.

But this time next year I should be primed.

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Waldport would be my choice. Lots of fishing opportunities (both fresh and salt water) there. Pretty much everything south of Florence is depressing due to the long-term absence of an economy.