1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Even transponders missing on 103

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by d0rk, Apr 16, 2011.

1. d0rk

d0rk New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    I've got zero signal strength on all of the even transponders for the 103* (s, ca, and cb) satellite. This problem doesn't happen all the time - sometimes there is signal but there hasn't been any signal for the last couple days.

Any idea how I can go about troubleshooting this? Today I compared to a neighbor's signals and they've got 90's where I have 0's - but they don't have a SWM like I do so I don't know if that is meaningful.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Loss of all even TPs off the 103 is due to the 18 volt 22 kHz tone not fuctioning.
    You say you have a SWiM, but not if this is the LNB or a SWM8, SWiM-16, etc.
    If it's the LNB, then it needs replacing.
    If a SWM8 or other external SWiM, then the cable that connects to the 18 volt 22 kHz port may be bad, or the LNB, etc.

3. d0rk

d0rk New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    I have a SWiM-16. There is a port for 18v/22khz and I guess I'll be testing that cable tomorrow. Thanks.

4. Tech_1438

Tech_1438 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    Swap the 13v/22khz & 18v/22khz cables and check to see if your 0 signal readings now move to the odd transponders. If so, that particular cable is suspect, and should be inspected for loose or corroded fittings. If the issue stays with the 103 even transponders, then the problem is either the LNB or SWM 16.

To eliminate the LNB as a possible culprit, grab ANY of the four feeds coming FROM the LNB. Barrel connect this single feed to the cable running DIRECTLY to ONE Non-DVR HD receiver. Complete the Satellite setup to change to a "legacy" install following these steps:

Menu
    Parental, Fav’s, & Setup
    System Setup
    Satellite
    Repeat Satellite Setup

Set Dish Type to 03 Slimline-3 (one feedhorn or "eyeball") or 04 Slimline-5 (three feedhorns) and Switch Type: 02 Multiswitch, and complete the setup. Now inspect your signal strengths across all satellites, if all signals are good, then the SWM-16 is your culprit. If you still have issues on the even xponders on the 103, then it is the LNB.

Good Luck!!

5. d0rk

d0rk New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    Thanks Tech. I swapped the cables and the odds dropped to 0. I just ended up replacing all four cables (they all had barrels to extend the line when the dish had to be moved) and now my signals are all good.

Thanks again.