1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Ever disassemble remote to clean it?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cypherx, Jul 1, 2013.

1. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I have a dirty RF remote and I was thinking of taking it apart to clean the button pad good and also the top shell and top slider switch.

Anyone do this before? Is it just the two screws in the battery compartment? My '0' key doesn't work so good so I'd like to clean it real good.

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 13, 2009
  3. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Treat yourself to a new one with a lighted keypad!

Live a little!

Splurge !

4. djousma

djousma Legend

Jan 22, 2007
    I tried to clean them, was more work than it was worth. You can find brand new ones on EBAY for $4-5. I bought 4 for $20. Now I have a few spares.

5. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    I had a couple of remotes on which some of the keys no longer worked. When I saw this thread, I followed the steps in the link provided in the second post. It took me a maximum of, perhaps, 10 minutes, and both remotes are now working like they did when they were new. The directions in that link were quite easy to follow, and, contrary to a couple of other posts, I found that the 10 minutes I spent was well worth the effort.

6. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
  7. sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    I have cleaned mine a couple of times and its worth the effort to me. Although new ones are cheap I hate to throw away something that is not really broken.

8. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I've cleaned my Harmony 680 in the living room a couple of times when isolated buttons became difficult and intermittent.

It's not brain surgery. As long as you aren't brutal about it, I would think you could handle it without issue.

Besides, what have you got to lose? It already doesn't work right.

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Well, I would definitely try to salvage a Harmony remote, those suckers are expensive! however a DirecTV remote, not so much