1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever Since Genie Upgrade - Lockups and Freeze Ups

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Spazzman, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Spazzman

Spazzman AllStar

Oct 8, 2006
    Guys,

My experience with Genie is less than enjoyable. I decided to re-up my contract and upgrade my dual tuner DVR to the new 5x DVR. Ever since the upgrade - when shows are played back on all of my DVRs - the shows freeze. DTV stated to me that a software update will happen soon to resolve the issue. That statement was made to me by them on Dec 31st. I noticed the Genie was updated with new Software on 1/9. Previous issues with youtube not working have been resolved however, the freezup on DVR playback remains.

I have two DVRs. My original plus the new Genie. Also, I have a 3rd receiver in the bedroom. The freeze ups happen on all of the devices. Is there a workaround?

Steve

2. Krazeyman

Krazeyman Cool Member

Oct 28, 2011
    If you are watching a recorded show on your original Dvr that has the program stored on it. (Not recorded on the genie) Do you have any problems with that?

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Press and hold the INFO button and then Run the System Test. If there is something wrong with either your HDD or the Satellite feed, there should be an error code returned.

4. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Sounds like a signal problem if it is affecting all your boxes.

5. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    I sort of suspect that they changed the LNB to a SWM LNB and that may be the source of the issue if it happens on all of the receivers...

Can this be seen with live TV as well...

How are the signal strenghts on all receivers?

6. Spazzman

Spazzman AllStar

Oct 8, 2006
    Guys - its not a signal problem because live tv is perfect. It only affects playback of dvr'd shows. DTV told me it had to do with a software update.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    But if it happens on shows recorded on your old DVR, and being played back locally, then it has nothing to do with the Genie software. Your old DVR is on completely different software.

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Did you run the system test? Did it come back clean?