1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Every day - RBR replaced receiver / same issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sacko999, Mar 24, 2009.

Tags:
  1. sacko999

sacko999 New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    I got a strange one. Strange that I haven't seen this issue on the board yet.

I have three HDDVRs. (2 HR20-700, 1 HR20-100)

The one in the living room, one of the HR20-700s, started experiencing something the others didn't. When I would get home and turn the TV on, (I leave all of the HDDVRs in an ON state all of the time) my picture would be there and everything was ok. When I would switch the channel, everything would go black and I would lose sound output. When I experienced this, my TV would go to an "Input" screen and my AVR receiver would go to a "no sound" display. As if you had turned the DVR off completely. After a RBR, the receiver would work fine until I came home again. Cycle then repeats.

Finally, I gave up and got a replacement. This one is a refurb HR20-100S. Well, I got home today and the exact thing happened. RBR fixed the issue.

Has anyone else seen this type of behavior? I searched a ways back and didn't see anything that matched my situation. I would of thought it to be a flakey receiver at first. Now that I have new one, and experience the same behavior, I start to question if it is my setup in that location.

Thoughts?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Tell us more about your TV and/or AV Receiver. How is the DVR connected to your TV and/or AV Receiver? Does the problem change if you use a different connection?

3. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    If its connected by HDMI there is a chance that the output version of the HDMI signal may be an older or newer version that your TV can handle.

4. sacko999

sacko999 New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Here's my current config. This config has not changed for about 2 years.

Video Pioneer 5020 Plasma
    Audio Denon AVR-2807 receiver

HR20-100s --> Denon Video HDMI - Audio - Toslink

Denon AVR-2807 receiver --- >HDMI to Pioneer 5020 Plasma

5. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I'd try bypassing the Denon and go straight HR to TV.

6. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I had an HR20-100 with messed up hdmi output. wasn't using receiver or anything so don't know if this helps.
    after a reboot it would work for some time then no video or audio output. sometimes wiggling cable where it joined HR unit helped, not always. reboot brought it back.
    I switch to component to test for a day and had no issues, called D* had replacement sent due to broken hdmi out.

7. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Have you tried it with a different remote control? It sounds like the remote control is somehow sending the "off" command when you attempt a channel change.

8. Socalmike

Socalmike New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    My HR22 began doing something like this 3 days ago. When the TV and audio receiver were turned on the HR would reboot.I have a Sammy TV, Sony AVR and have been using a Harmony 688 remote for years. I reprogramed the remote with the same reboot problem. I then switched to using the Directv remote only and after sliding the switch to AV1 and pressing power the HR reboots. After the reboot all operation is normal and if the system is turned off and back on within 5 minutes it powers up with no reboot. The reboot only happens after the system has been off for 30 minutes or more!

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I don't know if this would be helpful information but I had an issue about three weeks ago where, after updating my Harmony remote for a minor change, several buttons became unresponsive. It turns out that my codes stored on the Logitech server were somehow corrupted and I had to redo the setup for my TV and all related activities.

Could something like this have been the culprit for you?

10. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    This has all of the signs of too much power draw. Try plugging an item into a different outlet if available...

11. Socalmike

Socalmike New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Forgot to mention the HR22 is pluged into a large UPS and all components have been on the same dedicated outletfor 7 years. I reloaded the Harmony codes with no change. It also reboots with the D TV remote.

12. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    There is going to be a good bit of power drawn when your TV and AVR are powered on... And these DVRs are very sensitve to power drops... And maybe for some reason your UPS just isn't catching it in time...

This is because the capacitors in the TV and AVR still have power retained and don't draw as much on power up.

If I were you, I would try to plug the HR22 into a different outlet and see what happens.

13. sacko999

sacko999 New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Ok guys...Update

My HR20-100 just did it again. Tried a bunch of things--None with success.

1. The DVR was not powered off like someone had mentioned-lights stayed on. Went to DVR and tried manually hitting the power button to confirm--No go.

2. The remote isn't the issue. My Pioneer has two inputs to it. One is the Denon, one is a direct connection w/XBox 360. I connected the 360 HDMI cable to the HR20. Still no picture--(bypassing the Denon)

3. I do not believe it is a power draw. This is on its own circuit w/the rest of my A/V equipment. (I ran another power wire & circuit when installing my Plasma---thinking I might have load issues sharing)

Had to RBR it---Now everything is good---until tomorrow..

Geez---How goofy...

I've always had really good luck with the HR20s. The other two in the house are still working fine.

My next step is to switch to component for a while. See if that improves anything.

14. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Call DirecTV and ask for a replacement DVR. Yours is not working correctly. Why put up with it if you don't have to.

15. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    This is already a replacement. It seems there is an underlying issue here.

16. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    it could be 2 bad ones in a row, its not unheard of.
    put a good one in that location and move the bad one to a different location.
    see if it follows the unit.

17. donut53

donut53 DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Out of curiosity why are you running both hdmi and toslink to your Denon receiver.... Doesn't the hdmi carry both video and audio.....

18. Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    Alot of receivers will only "pass through" HDMI. Not sure about those specific receivers though.