1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everything Gone

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jalexand, Apr 25, 2009.

1. jalexand

jalexand Cool Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Hello all,

Here in Iowa tonight we are getting our first round of thunderstorms. I just got done watching something on the DVR and noticed that I can't get any live channels. Now we are having a thunderstorm. But up until tonight we've not had one bit of problem. I went to the signal tuner and it doesn't list anything. Is this what they mean by rain fade?

Jason

2. jalexand

jalexand Cool Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Umm never mind. The storm passed and everything is back.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes, that's rain fade. Except it's really cloud fade. The sat signals are in the microwave band, and microwaves don't penetrate water very well (which is how a microwave oven works). Thick, heavy, wet clouds in your dish's line-of-site will reduce sat signal, sometimes enough to lose the picture entirely. It should take a pretty serious storm to do that.

Note that it can be clear directly overhead, but heavy clouds to your south can cause the problem. That's because the dish looks south, not straight up.

4. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Actually the dish looks southwest.

I lost signal three times yesterday. The main system missed us but three small but intense storms popped up during the afternoon that came straight over us from the southwest. Incredibly heavy rain each time but none lasted more than 15 minutes.