1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

excited--experiment failed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Rugged, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Rugged

Rugged Legend

Sep 16, 2006
    Nashville
    well...after less than 45 days with Comcast I am back!!! I spent a week thinking really hard about the Comcast triple play offer and i finally decided to try it out. Their triple play was supposed to save me almost $100 a month over my combined D* and ATT bill....of course that was before I factored in comcast fees and taxes.

anyway, i had problems from day and once i worked those issues out I just couldn't get comfortable with the UI, the PQ or pretty much anything. I didn't like it and I knew the family didn't either. The only bright spot was the super fast internet which came bundled.

luckily I kept my D* account active (suspended)...I finally called yesterday and because I was on a suspended account they transferred me to retention. I explained that I wanted to reactivate my account but that i wanted to make some changes to improve my equipment and package.

after a short call I walked away with
    2 new HD Receivers--not replacements new adds to my account
    Whole Home DVR Connection with Internet
    and I keep my 2 HR20-700

all for just $99.

I can't complain and I'm happy to be back on a 2 yr commitment... I've been with D* since 2003 and won't two-time again!

Next plan is find a way to upgrade my old HR20-700...any ideas? I was thinking of calling in a Protection plan claim since they are so damn noisy.

happy to be back!
    Install is tomorrow!!!

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Welcome back!

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal!

If you do a PP claim on your HR20 you should get another HR20 in replacement if you tell them you need the OTA capabilities.

3. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Why not just add an external drive to the HR20? It will quiet it down and you can stick with a proven receiver.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Adding an external eSATA drive won't quiet down the DVR because the internal drive is still inside spinning away.

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Adding the external device will quiet down the internal HDD. I've done it many times and it's worked each time.

6. Rugged

Rugged Legend

Sep 16, 2006
    Nashville
    I probably won't go through the trouble but thanks for the idea...

I do have an install question if anyone can answer.

My installer just left but he has me confused on the Broadband portion. My MRV is working great...all playlists show up fine but the Network functions have me baffled.

We hooked my ethernet cable up to the broadband deca box (the one with a power cord). The coax feeds back to the splitter where all the other cables are.

Should I now have the Cinema function on all the boxes HRs and Hs? How do I confirm if my internet is even working?

7. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Yes it should be working. Go to channel 1000 however you won't see a lot right now. I'd wait an hour or so and try to get something.

8. Rugged

Rugged Legend

Sep 16, 2006
    Nashville
    okay--so if my H24 has "Channel Not Avail." when I key in 1000 then something is probably set up wrong...?

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    While this may not be ideal for you, you could order an HR24 from a third party. You've just restarted your 2 year commitment, so that is pretty much a wash. The only "cost" would be the cost to get the new DVR. Once you receive it and hook it up you'd just deactivate (and thus return) your HR20-700.

10. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Press and hold the info button, then choose "more info", scroll down and there will be Network - connected and then Internet -connected.

It may take a while before the cinema and on demand channels are available, I believe it says it may take up to 24 hours after initial install.

11. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    They are not perfect, but:

Best Damn Television Service Available!

12. Rugged

Rugged Legend

Sep 16, 2006
    Nashville
    wow....just a few days later and I can't believe there is still competition out there with Directv. Their picture quality is sooo much better it's ridiculous. Comcast should be embarrassed. Here are a few more reasons I didn't like Comcast...multiple channels for SD/HD, SD Menu System, horrible GUI and menu system.

Now, I have a question. I plugged a TV into a Coax connection without a receiver and I managed to pick up some of my local stations. This connection was fed from my splitter. How is it that I was able to receive content without the box?

13. gphvid

gphvid Godfather

Jun 19, 2007
    Thousand...
    Guess it is pretty understandable why we refer them as Comcrap. And these people just bought NBC Universal...

14. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    All depends on what market you are in, and how they have their system configured. My 1080 channels are just a tad softer than those on DirecTv. My 720p channels look exactly the same on both, and my SD channels are DVD quality compared to DirecTv's S-VHS resolution. I am also getting all but 2 of the channels on the "HD wishlist" for DirecTv in HD already. I am perfectly happy with Xfinity. Perhaps it was because you were using their DVR. I am using a Tivo Premier, so I dont have any of those DVR issues you mentioned.

Glad you are happy being back with DirecTv though. Competition is a good thing.

15. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    Did you disconnect or drop tv service with comcast and keep phone and or net? If so, they should have put a line trap on your cable coming in to block tv. You are getting your locals via clear qam. You are probably getting a lot of junk too like shopping channels.

I get the same, I have a double play with phone and net only. I know it's passive theft but it's nice to know it's there when needed.

Sent from my DROIDX using DBSTalk

16. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I dont know as though I would call it theft. They charge an extra $15 for net service if you dont have TV service (but might not if you have phone also). My installer actually told me there is no filters on the line, so if I wanted free local tv, I could put a splitter behind the cable modem. He said you are paying for it anyway :) I checked it out, just to see what was on there...wasnt anything I would want to keep connected unless I had the other channels to go with them :) I can get all my locals off the antenna anyway.

17. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    In my experience most of the cable companies used to come and put a trap on the line that blocked all of the analog stations, but not any digital stations (since most of them are encrypted anyway).

Now that most cable companies have finished switching everything over to digital except the locals and a few other channels like shopping networks and CSPAN they don't seem to be bothering with traps at all.

18. Rugged

Rugged Legend

Sep 16, 2006
    Nashville
    Interesting...I have phone/internet with Comcast still; although yesterday we had some strong storms and I lost my phone and internet at 2pm and it didn't come back on until after midnight--I never lost power though. My Directv signal only sputtered for a few minutes during the heaviest rain. I feel bad for all my neighbors that wanted to watch the NCAA finals on Comcast...it looked great on D*

I'm sure the line feeding the TV I hooked up was completely independent of any line that was part of my Comcast wiring. This TV's coax was hooked up to my D* splitter on a straight run. I guess the wiring itself provided enough of a signal to send the locals through.

19. Rugged

Rugged Legend

Sep 16, 2006
    Nashville
    I will agree with you..I think we're at the 'end of the run' because most of my neighbor all seem to have issues with Comcast. Frequent pixalation, poor On Demand connections, etc. You are right on the DVR..had it been a Tivo based DVR I would have been much happier.

thanks!