1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excluding Playlist In Whole Home Setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by scott0702, Feb 27, 2013.

1. scott0702

scott0702 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have 7 HD DVR's. I know I can turn of playlist sharing on one DVR and it will not be available to the other DVR's. Is there a way to exclude let's say DVR2 from DVR1's playlist but at the same time DVR2 recordings be available to the rest of the DVR's? I don't think there is currently a way to do that.

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Correct, it's either share with all or share with none, not selectable at the DVR level.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think RAD has answered your question, but you can break up which DVRs share into separate "groups".

Say you have A, B, C, D

A&B is one group, and C&D another.
    You can't have A share only with B, while having B share with C or D.

4. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    VOS, how would you do that?

5. scott0702

scott0702 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe the software developers will do some type of future enhancement to be able to give more controls to sharing.

How do you configure this option? This could work.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The hardware option is to use a bandstop filter to block the two groups. This might take a reconfiguring of your splitters so the filter can be mounted where it breaks up the receivers you want into each group.
    Internet access gets harder to have on both groups as the router wants to bridge them. Two routers can be used for this.

Here's a rough setup:
    2clouds.png

The other way is a network setting option, but this takes more than I know about networking to setup. "Basically" you break up the subnets.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. However, that can cause it's own problems as it can take some finagling to allow all the DVRs to still have access to the rest of your network and the Internet.

- Merg

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Which you may have noticed, I didn't try to offer anything for it. :lol:

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. :)

- Merg

10. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    VOS, this is not a good example layout. The C31 must never have a bandstop filter between it and the HR34. Prevents the ethernet connection to the server,, hence unable to find server error message. Just a note.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It shows how a BSF can be placed, and the OP wasn't asking about a client, but then how do you know there weren't two Genies in that layout?

12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    To me thats exactly what it looks like. It has an HR34 on the top group, and the HR44 on the bottom group. So that bottom C31 would only be able to talk to the HR44.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Getting a managed can solve this problem, since you can then be able to assign different sub nets to each group.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "a rough setup" was used to point out where a filter could be used, but wasn't intended to be an exact system layout.
    Some got the point, while others saw flaws.

15. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I know, I was just saying that to me the picture of the unit in the family room appears to be an HR44. So it would work with the C31 in the man cave. The C31 in the master bedroom would work with the HR34 in the office. So that system would work just fine, b52pooh must not have realized the unit in the family room was an HR44.