1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Exede Modem is it a router also

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Grippy, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Grippy

Grippy Cool Member

Oct 18, 2008
    da UP
    Currently on Hughesnet and I can't do lots of stuff because the modem is a router and I would have to pay much more for a static IP. What's the deal with Exede? I can't drill down far enough on their webpage to find that info. Thanks

2. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    What stuff can you not do? I have a router/modem combo with Comcast and I don't know of anything I can't do with it. And why do you want a static IP?

3. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Static is ideal for VOIP and online gaming.

If your trying to set up your network for gaming, or opening up the ports for optimal performance you should probably not even bother... Internet over satellite will just result in ridiculous ping and either your going to lag to hell and just be beat repeatedly or your going to have a lag advantage.. None the less the situation wouldnt be ideal for you :p

4. 4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    You got your answer on the wildblue.com forum...

The modem is not a router..it works well with most wireless routers.

You will always have a dynamically assigned IP unless you upgrade to a commercial/business account. The IP address can change anytime the modem is rebooted...but can go several months with the same IP..

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I use a DYN.com DNS name that changes when my home IP changes ... I have no need for a fixed IP to reach home anytime.

6. 4bama

4bama Godfather

Aug 6, 2006
    Some Exede customers use PCAnytime to access their home computers from work, or vice-versa...it does not depend on a fixed IP..