1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Existing setup. Not sure about the rest

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Skuba-Steve, May 12, 2011.

1. Skuba-Steve

Skuba-Steve New Member

May 12, 2011
    Directv came out and redid some of my wiring when we were having issues with our picture. They replaced one box with an HR24, replaced the part of the dish that points at the dish and redid the cable that goes from the dish to the splitter after changing out the splitter. (now just one cable from dish to splitter when there was 2)

In the masterbedroom, which is located upstairs they put the HR24 and the power insterter. The existing HR23 in the lower floor livingroom still has 2 coax cables connected to it, I think only one is needed but not sure on that part.

I had already ran my own cat5 to the livingroom and added the 5 port switch. I don't really care/need the VOD at this time and am wondering what I have left to be able to do the multi-room viewing. I know i have to call Directv and add the $3/month service but they give me the run around when I tell em I already have it networked, telling me it has to be networked through the coax.

I've read the posts on unsupported MRV when you call in. Is that all I have left based on my existing setup? Directv csr's even escalated my call to a "supervisor" who stated the same thing about needing their equipment.

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    You should disconnect the exra line from the back of the 23. Did they install a DECA on the 23? If not I'm betting you'll have some problems soon. If your ethernet is setup fine you can do unsupported. Just call them again and speak to someone else or send in an email. However when a 24 is installed they need to install filters or DECAs. If not the 24 can still send out the MRV data which will cause issues with your 23.

3. Skuba-Steve

Skuba-Steve New Member

May 12, 2011
    Nope, the guy didn't do anything downstairs in the livingroom except check the connection after adjusting the dish.

Does this setup support the MRV and I just gotta get through to them to activate?

4. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Through ethernet it should work as you have it wired once they activate the system. Again though without a DECA on the 23 I think you'll have other issues.

Run your network setup after that check to see if they can use tv apps. Check your router to see if they get recognized by the router and are assigned IP's. If so you're set for MRV through ethernet.

5. Skuba-Steve

Skuba-Steve New Member

May 12, 2011
    It's been set up this way for a few about 2 months now. I am pretty sure only 1 cable is actually connected at the 4 port switch but I'd have to follow the two all the way back to make sure. (not too hard to follow them, just not at home atm)

6. Skuba-Steve

Skuba-Steve New Member

May 12, 2011
    I think last time I tried I just assigned static I.P.'s. I have since undone all those changes but will try again tonight. Pretty sure they were recognised all over my network once I assigned them both I.P.'s.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll check the setups tonight, but still need em to activate it.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You can run MRV via ethernet on a HR24 without issue (I did it for over 6 months). The problem happens when you are using DECA for MRV and want to add Internet so you plug an ethernet cable into the HR24. Then the DECA in the HR24 turns off and you don't have MRV.

The OP's setup should work just fine. The best way to activate MRV in an unsupported mode is to send an e-mail and request it. You will most likely get a response back that you need to have the upgrade performed. Just respond to that e-mail and again request it be turned on in an unsupported mode.

- Merg

8. Skuba-Steve

Skuba-Steve New Member

May 12, 2011
    Question I have is after I get them to activate the MRV will there be any issues with the HR23 sharing to the HR24? I just ran the network tests on the HR24 and HR23 and both are passing all tests once I put in all my network settings on both machines.

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I am very close to having it set up.

9. Skuba-Steve

Skuba-Steve New Member

May 12, 2011
    Went ahead and sent the email to start up the service, got a reply to initial email within 10 minutes stating it was all set up. Got on both boxes and finalized all the sharing and everything looks good, I can see everything on both machines. Will make sure I can watch em later, but looks good so far.

Thanks again for the replies.

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Glad to hear it's working for you

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No issues.

No problem. Enjoy!

- Merg