1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experiencing intermittent audio outage on DD5.1 programs

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by gor88, Jan 23, 2011.

1. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    When watching live or recorded programs, I am experiencing brief audio outages from 2-10 seconds several times during an hour. The Sony receiver indicates a loss of the audio feed. There is no hiccup in the video picture whatsoever. This seemed to start a few days ago and is mainly apparent on DD5.1 programs.

The receiver is a 722k connected to a Sony STR-DN1000 av receiver via HDMI. There doesn't appear to be any issue with the Sony receiver.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I have performed a hard reboot of the receiver several times to no avail. I want to ask this question before switching the LR 722k with the BR one. It would be pointless to swap them out if the issue is systemic.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Moving to the 722K forum for more visibility...

What channels are you seeing this happen on?

3. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    So far, I have noticed this on Bio, TruTV, ID, CMT, FoxNews, and Syfy. Pretty much the channels I have been watching this weekend. I do notice it occasionally on locals as well, but only a couple of times the last several days. The non-OTA channels have it happen 3-8 times an hour.

If this isn't symptomatic of a recent 722k release, I'll probably move my BR receiver in to the LR. I just hate to have to recreate the 29 timers set. I do have the external HD enabled, so moving the programs will be easy enough.

4. jimmyz71

jimmyz71 New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Beloit, WI
    I noticed the same problem and I have a 622. Also it happens on both my HDMI and component L - R audio. So not a cabling issue. Also on NatGeo and Speed.

5. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not seeing it... but I could be watching at different times. I'll try to pay more attention and see if I see any consistent audio drops.

6. Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    Yep, happens to me and seems only on 5.1 programs. Some channels are worse than others. I lose audio briefly, just a second or less. My receiver, a top end Yamaha indicates loss of feed. I am using a optical connection from my 722k...

I have always had this problem...

LZ Senior

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I've got the same problem. HDMI connection only and it is not related to any particular channel. Worse now than I've ever seen. Previously it would be just a very quick glitch and then ok, now longer which makes it more noticeable and irritating.

On a 722k

8. Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    Indeed, it is getting worse. I have experienced it for a year. Been much worse lately and very irritating.

The problem is NOT my audio system. I watch recorded programs from the DVR exclusively and the audio drops are repeatable..

LZ Senior

9. rsb148

rsb148 New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Happening here too in Easton, PA to both a 622 and a 211.
    Both conected to Denon receivers via optical. Several times/evening sometimes as long as 10 seconds but usually only a second or 2.

10. jimmyz71

jimmyz71 New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Beloit, WI
    Watching Around the Horn at 4:20 central time and having dropouts, very brief but dropping out. This is on a 622 and I started noticing it about a week ago.

11. gor88

gor88 Icon

May 9, 2003
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this. However, I hope that Dish looks into this and gets this addressed. Although usually brief, it is irritating missing out on important dialogue.

Given that several of you are noticing it, I will probably not swap my 722k receivers around yet.

Thanks to all for providing feedback.

12. TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Seems to me that it may not be satellite or transponder specific, which makes the drops strange especially when you can duplicate it with recorded events. Varying channels to include locals at times and not necessarily at specific times could be a different issue then hardware or signal from the satellite. You could check to see (with the optical disconnected) if the optical actually stops sending signal (no red) to see if it is hardware related or if it is steady which would suggest there is nothing being sent by the receiver. You could also check something much simpler. If the optical cables is not fluid (has to many sharp bends or things of that nature) the signal could be getting "lost" and not making it to the stereo. Just a thought for those connected with optical.

The original question with an HDMI cable being used is a mystery. I would probably just check the cable itself and see if there are maybe pins shorting or if the fittings may be falling apart. Some cables don't withstand plugging and unplugging very well, and I have seen Sony receivers and Pioneer receivers have very tight fittings. I installed one (with inexpensive cables I might add) and noticed that the first time I unplugged the cable from the receiver to reroute it the "head" or whatever came undone and was stuck in the jack on the receiver. I was luckily able to free it but the cable was unusable after that. I'll check a little further into this though.

13. jimmyz71

jimmyz71 New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Beloit, WI
    This is definitely a dish issue and not a cabling issue. I have had drop outs on all outputs, HDMI, Component L - R audio outs and the tv2, RG-6 out. And by seeing that I am not the only one with this problem and with it being a fairly new issue I would have to conclude all of our receivers are not going bad at the exact same time. But I have no idea what would be causing it.

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I have a 922 connected to a Sony STR-DH800 receiver and have seen no audio dropouts. My 622 and 722 are in other rooms, so I can't check those.

But I was watching Around the Horn today... and didn't have any audio issues.

I'm on the Western arc.

Is everyone having this issue on the same arc (east or west)? I'm trying to think of things common to some of you that are different from me since I'm not seeing the audio glitches.

15. Lazy Senior

Lazy Senior Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    I am on the east arc. I have tried hdmi and optical connections. Same dropouts repeatable with recorded shows. Some channels are worse than others. I watch Premium movie channels mostly. Showtime channels are easily the worst offenders. HBO and Cinemax rarely drop audio. Video is not affected at all by audio dropouts.

This really is not a new problem. Search a little for Dish audio dropouts and you will find many complaining...

LZ Senior

16. TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network New Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Still checking to see if there is a known signal issue on one of the birds. Could you isolate it to a particular satellite? The likelihood that all three on an eastern arc install are having the issue is virtually none. You can find the satellite by hitting info twice on the remote (it lists it on the info page after the second press, little picture of a dish under the title).

17. Mike109

Mike109 Legend

Jun 28, 2010
    I was watching a recording of a BBCA HD program the other day & the audio dropped out for several seconds. I'm on the eastern arc. TV is not on at the moment & will have to check later which sat this is.

18. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not doubting that some of you are having issues... just trying to help isolate common features.

So far at least 2 of you having the issue are on eastern arc, while I'm on the western arc and having no audio glitches like you describe.

It could still be a firmware issue, rather than a satellite uplink issue... but, for example, it could be an issue in how the firmware is parsing the table data to tune the channels properly... and it might only be having the problem with the eastern arc data.

A couple of years ago, there was an issue with 722 firmware that had a glitch + freeze every 4 hours like clockwork at the top of the hour... some of the Dish folk didn't believe me until I got a guy on the phone just before the glitch time and he watched as his receiver glitched when mine did!

Turned out to be a problem with the firmware parsing the table data... and it happened that there were regular updates of that data every 4 hours... and it was causing the receivers with that firmware to choke.

So... if it happens to a bunch of you on eastern arc with 622 and 722 receivers... but not to me on western arc... I would be leaning towards glitches in the datastream on eastern arc OR firmware glitches in processing that data.

19. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I'm also on the EA with the audio glitches.

That said, while these glitches are longer in duration and show up more often, audio glitches are nothing new. I had sporadic audio glitches when on the WA and earlier after the switch to EA, but they were extremely short in duration and you could go days with none.

Now it is nearly everyday and some channel. All HD channels btw.

20. knot

knot Mentor

Feb 4, 2010
    Same audio issues here with a 222k on the EA. I have noticed the dropouts are on both 61.5 and 72 sats. It happens on all my outputs and also on tv2 in dual mode.