1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exterior Cable Issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 1953, Mar 22, 2013.

1. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    We have an abundance of obsolete unused cable cut and hanging down from our sat dish. Has anyone been able to get DTV to remove old cabling? We also have a group of in-use cables laying on the ground. Has DTV ever done this to you?

In the past, DTV has refused to correct both issues. Any advice?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You own those cables, not DirecTV. So it's doubtful you'll find anyone from DirecTV that will remove it for you.

3. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    They installed them and I have the protection agreement.

4. ts7

ts7 Mentor

Nov 1, 2011
    Why would you think the protection agreement would cover removing the old cables? That has nothing to do with guaranteeing your equipment is working. There are a lot of private and/or independent contractors that would probably do this for a fee if you are unable or unwilling to do it yourself. Just make sure you use someone reputable as removing old cable can leave holes that need to be patched and possibly other repairs to your house.

5. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    If it makes any difference these are exterior cables originating from the dish. Thanks for your replies.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    while companies installing for DirecTV or DirecTV themselves will install new cable as needed, they are not responsible for left over cables that has been accumulated over the years as customers go trough different providers or even multiple installations of the same service.

7. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Thank you.

8. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    In the past when having installers out i have asked them if they would do things like removing old lines or cleaning up a bit etc. but, the offer was extended by Mr Jackson or Mr. Grant ... Some have agreed and others have said they just can't. Just keep in mind that like others have said Directv is not obligated to do anything but whats on the work order (IE new install, troubleshooting) so don't get upset if the installer says no. Also, i would not call Directv and get a truck rolling just so you can ask the installer to pull some lines down... I would wait till you have some trouble or are ready for a upgrade and kindly ask while they are there.. you might get lucky.

9. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Any coax that is dangling and not connected at one end can be trimmed back.

LOL, I'm cleaning up the side of a house for a client and he has had Hughes Internet (now on DSL), he's had cable TV and several incarnations of DISH; original 300 series, a 500 and a 1000 with another one for Sky angel, and currently he has a DirecTV Kaku.

There is also a pair of OTA lines running thru the nest of cables, and additional coax for the D* clients around the house (building is just old enough that all internal wire is RG-59 for the original cable TV install)

I've removed quite a bit of it and haven't cut any active cables yet. since his D* system is up and working, he's been flexible about when I work on cleaning up the clut ter. When I am in the area and finish another job early, I spend the balance of the work day on his mess. Have had 2 sessions already, and have a couple hours to go.

He even wants extra unused coax taken out from under the deck, and that has been a little harder. I've taken the mounting feet for the dishes off the cement foundation and puttied the holes too. There is some thorny shrubbery partially concealing some of the clutter, and that makes it a little harder getting it cleaned up too.

Can't blame people for wanting a mess on the side of the house cleaned up. Glad the OP wants to stay ahead of the clutter too, keeping the wires organized and well kept makes repairs and future work easier.

10. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Thanks to everyone for your valuable input. As gov said "just wanting to stay ahead of the clutter".

11. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Same client had a 'tik-tik' noise inside the house, and only when the HVAC was running. His HVAC contractor couldn't find any problems and wanted to do an expensive camera probe inspection of the duct work.

Before biting on that, homeowner had me look around (yeah, there is some cabling issues in the basement to clean up too, one incarnation of the DISH system was kludged into the RG-59 mess for mirroring). He was very fortunate, I heard the 'tik-tik' and put a ladder up and found a pool cue up in the ceiling joists that had somehow perfectly balanced itself on some romex and would tap the return air duct when the HVAC was on. Moved pool cue and noise stopped.

Big mystery was, I have worked for these folks for many years, they've never had a pool table, so what's with the pool cue?

LOL, people have all kinds of stuff.

Clutter can get you SOOOO many ways.

12. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    +1

That is similar to what happened in my situation. When my system was converted to SWM, there were extra unused cables outside. When I needed a service call for something else about a year later, when setting up the service call, I asked that it be put on the work order to remove the unused cables, and that was actually put on the work order. Had it not been on the work order, I would have politely asked the technician to remove them when he got there, and I would have, of course, compensated him in the form of a generous tip.

13. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    And if everybody takes down all the extra wires to their dish when they SWiM, we can charge to put them back when the go to the SWiM32!!!

Win-win!

:D

(and just being light hearted there, unused wires generally don't get taped up and sealed very well so they quickly become unusable from moisture anyhow, might as well take them down when you find them)

14. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    When my house was built, which was only 14 years ago, I thought that I had anticipated cabling needs, and I had cable runs going through the attic to rooms where I thought I could ever possibly want a TV. I thought that I would never have a need to have cables running outside the house. What I didn't anticipate, though, was that I was going to want to have multiple DVRs, which, before SWM, were going to each require two cable runs. Thus, between the DIRECTV cable runs and ones for my internet connection, I ended up with a number of cables on the exterior walls. What is ironic is that, while I under anticipated the number of TV cable runs that I would need, I also had phone jacks put into many locations throughout the house where I thought I might need a phone or where I thought a DIRECTV receiver was going to need a phone connection, but, with the wireless DECT6 multiple phone systems and with the DIRECTV receivers connected via the internet, one phone jack is all I really need.

At least, it was nice to be able to get rid of some of the DIRECTV cabling after moving to SWM.

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    In my area the installers or Techs clean up any extraneous cabling. You should have seen what my house looked like after the first of several "installs". Can't say enough good things about Multi-Band, the contractor who D* uses in my part of NJ. Since they've been our contractor, after every job a supervisor comes out and takes pictures of the work that has been done.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good for you! Housekeeping is always important and should be a part of your job. If it's not mandatory, it should be. Every craftsman is taught that and it's hammered into apprentices.

Rich

17. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I'd like to see this idea spread to some of the other trades!

I have a commercial client, he has 9 tvs, and many features on his system. I am not the original TV system installer (or anything else in that old building) and I dread my trips to the attic area. That is a huge mess, old ductwork, air handlers, romex, phone wires, vent pipes, etc. No item ever put in that attic has ever been removed.

Additionally, several times the building has been reconfigured when ever the nature of the business changed, and instead of ripping out walls and ceilings, renovations have usually been to just fur out the walls and ceiling and build another over the old one. In the back of the building, I was trying to run coax to the office and encounter 4 (!!) ceilings, all layered up in about 2 feet of vertical space. The building is a fire trap, and a maintenance nightmare. No one has ever gutted the thing and done a decent remodel. There are even extra roof structures over old roofs in places. I encountered 2 signs in the attic, they were subsumed into the attic by additions to the building and not taken down. One still has lights on it that work! (they keep the circuit breaker for that mess turned off, I turn it on to have some light to work by in that part of the attic)

Building has been a restaurant a couple of times, offices, laundromat, car repair, car dealership, apartments, and a night club. Some businesses have used the entire structure, some have just been in parts, some businesses built on additions. One of the worst buildings to work on I have ever been in.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Every tradesman that goes thru proper training is told over and over about housekeeping. That doesn't mean that every one of those future craftsmen gets it. We're seeing more and more folks who are handy with tools setting themselves up as "handy man, no job too big or too small". Jacks of all trades, masters of none and they don't usually sweep up after a job.

That attic you mention in detail in your post is probably an "out of sight, out of mind" thing.

Rich