1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

External Case for VIP722

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by KCCardsfan, Mar 20, 2009.

1. KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    Need help for my brother-in-law, he has had two WD 750's go bad in the last year (HDD not case) these models had USB/Firewire/eSata interface. WD could not recover data on either one. My question is what external stand alone case 722 users have had the best luck with? He wants to buy a stand alone eSata Seagate drive and put it in a SATA-USB case, the Seagate drives have an excellent track record when used externally on a DVR. So if 722 users that are not using all-in-one external solutions would post, it would be greatly appreciated.
    I read about the all-in-one solutions users have had luck with, but he has decided to go this route if possible. He has seen my Seagate external on my DirecTv work flawless for 1.5 years in a CoolMax and would like to do the same, but like DirecTv I'm sure there are some cases that simply don't work on the 722.

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Any single disk enclosure with a USB2 interface should work as long as it has its own power supply. It will not work if it pulls its power from the USB port.

3. KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    I appreciate your response, but as requested in my initial post I'm looking for specific examples that 722 users have used that work.

4. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I have a Nextstar 3 which is working fine for me but only about a month in use so I have no extended history on how long it will last.

5. KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    Thanks, this case is available local, will keep it in mind.

6. KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    Any other recommendations?

7. boy654

boy654 Mentor

Dec 21, 2006
    I'm using a no brand from ebay, working fine with a WD drive I had lying around. I don't leave on 24/7, just when vewing or moving.

8. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I also have a nexstar (shiny black with a pretty blue power light!). I've had it on almost continuosly for about a year. I plopped an old WD 160gb drive in it. Not one problem so far. It's even wedged between 2 file boxes.

9. grog

grog Godfather

Jul 2, 2007
  10. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I have a Thermaltake BlacX 2.5/3.5 SATA HDD USB Docking Station.

It allows me to swap drives just by powering off the dock, popping out the drive and popping another SATA drive in the dock. I've never had any problem with it. Drives are out in the open air and I have the fan pulling air out of the left side of my 622 blowing on the EHD.

11. KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    Thanks to all for the input!

12. KCCardsfan

KCCardsfan Godfather

Apr 18, 2007
    Had looked into this, glad to see how well it works. Thanks

13. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I have 4-5 SATA drives setting beside my BlacX dock.

I have one for Dog Whisperer, one for kids programs, one for movies, etc.

Works great.