1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

External Disk for Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MRubenzahl, Sep 14, 2013.

1. MRubenzahl

MRubenzahl New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Santa Clara, CA
    My Genie arrives on Monday (upgrade from older HR-21 DVR). Yay!

I want to add a 2-3 TB drive (external). Questions:

Does it affect the speed of operation of the unit (the user interface)? My HR21 is slow and I don't want to hamper the new unit's speed.

Any recommendation as to disk drive? I plan to use the same e-SATA enclosure I have now.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    No it won't slow it down. If you look you will find a giant thread dedicated to enclosures and external drives.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Just keep in mind, if the Genie ever needs replaced, any recordings on the external will not be playable.

Also, I generally recommend recording something to the internal drive, can just be a random recording, something you would never record yourself is best.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    As a follow-up to this...

Although the recordings are not playable, your Series List will still be there when you activate the replacement so you won't have to recreate them again.

As for recording one item on the internal drive, the reason is that you won't freak out on the day that your External Drive didn't connect right and it gives the appearance that the DVR wiped itself. By having that one recording, it is to show you that the DVR is using the internal drive and not the external drive.

- Merg

5. MRubenzahl

MRubenzahl New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Santa Clara, CA
    Good suggestions. Thanks.

Love the fact that even thought they don't support it, DirecTV allows external disk. Not true of UVerse or Comcast.

6. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Recording on the internal drive would also not be playable, albeit for an entirely different reason.