1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

External Drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RocketFoot, Oct 30, 2013.

1. RocketFoot

RocketFoot New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Has anyone added an external drive to their HR44 yet? I was thinking about buying a 1TB drive and plugging it in. Is there anything required to do so? Will the DVR recognize the external drive? What should I expect?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    The 44 already has 1TB. You can get a 3TB esata if you want, but remember it replaces your HD space and doesn't add to it.

3. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I'm using one of these Thermaltake docks with a 2TB WD EURS hard drive. Works well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383169550&sr=8-1&keywords=thermaltake+dock

Also have the same setup on an HR24-500. Used to have it on the HR34 but put a 3TB drive inside.

The old Antec MX-1 enclosures were popular on here for a long while due to their active cooling and compatibility but the fans go bad after a while and I've not found a replacement.

The DVR will recognize the external eSATA drive when it comes back up following a no power condition, i.e. the DVR must be unplugged then plugged back in with the eSATA running. The DVR will format a fresh drive. If a drive has been used for anything else it will most likely have to be erased first.
    Note that the DVR will use either the eSATA drive or the internal but not both at the same time. However, the existing recordings on the internal hard drive will remain and can be played by going through the power off boot with the eSATA disconnected or turned off.

4. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I'm using a 6 year old Antec MX-1 with a 2TB WD EURS on my HR44-500. I used the MX-1 on an HR21-700 for 6 years and it still works great.

5. RocketFoot

RocketFoot New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Ah, I didn't know that it was one OR the other! I was hoping for selective access to either drive so I could store long term on the external and use the internal for daily recordings. No big deal, 1TB should be plenty of storage for me!

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Not only is it one or the other but the recordings on either drive are tied to that unit so it would only be long term storage as long as you have that specific HR44.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Right, there is no such thing as "long term storage" with DVRs. they are either tied to your service provider, or in DirecTV's case to the receiver that made the recordings. At the end of the day, studios or networks wants you to buy the disc version if you really want to keep them "forever"