1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

External hard drive for Directv receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tsmacro, Aug 18, 2014.

1. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Ok I've got a friend who has a h24-100 dying and they have a service call set up to get it replaced, but of course they're lamenting the loss of all their recordings. Question is can they get an external hard drive and transfer their recordings to it and then be able to watch their recordings off that hard drive when it's hooked up to the replacement receiver? I tried to look this up using the search but the threads it pointed me too were very long and I was hoping someone would be nice enough just to give me a quick answer here, thanks in advance!

2. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    In a word, no. The internal HDD (hard drive) is bound to that receiver. It cannot be copied or relocated. Tell your friend that time is of the essence--aka, use it or lose it. As will all DVRs, storage is temporary...there was never any implication the recordings would last forever, nor is it meant to be used to store recordings for long periods.

There may be some built-in diagnostics and/or repair apps that can extend the HDD life a bit, and experts on this board are better able to guide you in that direction.

Good luck!

-=K=-

3. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    That's what I needed to know, thanks for the quick reply!

4. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Just to add: The external drives that some use to increase storage: they also cannot be played on a DVR other than the one that recorded on it.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Unless it's over the air recordings. Those can be transferred.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Either a capture device or Hauppauge HD PVR device, or DVD Recorders with HDD in them, are only ways to keep recordings.