1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External hard drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mrkwstrlnd, Jun 27, 2012.

1. mrkwstrlnd

mrkwstrlnd New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Yesterday a technician told us that we need to replace the HR22 dvr receiver we have because our hd receiver upstairs keeps not showing our list of recorded programs. He said we could get the recorded shows from the dvr onto an external hard drive. Which external hard drive should I get? Also, will the shows be able to be reinstalled on the new DVR? Thanks.
    Mark W.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The tech gave you some incorrect information. You cannot transfer the recordings to an external drive.

3. mrkwstrlnd

mrkwstrlnd New Member

Jun 27, 2012
    So there's no way to get those recordings saved? The wife is already nonplussed with d tv and this might just push her over the edge. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Only way is to buy a hauppauge HDPVR and record each show you want to save to your computer in real time. Other solution would be to do without whole home, and use the DVR as a standalone until until you watch all the shows.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Even if you had already been using an external drive and the DVR itself went out, you'd be out of luck. Recordings on a drive are married to a receiver. Is it definite that the issue is not somewhere else?

6. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    If you're able to play the recorded shows back on the TV that the DVR is connected to, I'd probably just get a cheap DVD recorder to copy the recorded content to. Walmart is currently selling a refurbished Toshiba DVD recorder for $70.