1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

external hard drive

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jefte1, Nov 24, 2013.

1. jefte1

jefte1 Cool Member

Feb 10, 2010
    South Carolina
    Not sure if this has been answered before, I have a western digital, my book av drv expander, 1 TB. I used to use it for my hopper when i had dish. My question is, I am probaly going to be getting a hr44 to replace my hr34 that is having trouble on my nbc local and was wondering if this hard drive will work on the hr34? and than , if so, will i be able to watch it on my hr44 when I get it? thanks for your help in advance

2. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    The HR44 already has a 1 TB drive. If you put an external drive on your HR34, you will not be able to watch anything recorded on the external drive mounted on another DirecTV DVR. The data on the drives is encoded to the receiver that created it.

3. jefte1

jefte1 Cool Member

Feb 10, 2010
    South Carolina
    ok thanks for the info

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    an external drive REPLACES the internal, does not ADD to it. since the Genie comes with 1TB already, there is nothing to be gained

5. jefte1

jefte1 Cool Member

Feb 10, 2010
    South Carolina
    I understood that.I was going to download my shows on the external hard drive than hook it up to the hr44 when I got it.but since I can't do it, I will not worry about it. I will just watch my shows before switching to the hr44. Thanks for all the answers.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    OK, that makes sense.