1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external hard drives - Fantom 1TB?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by billoh, Nov 22, 2010.

1. billoh

billoh Cool Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Anyone know of any issues using the Fantom G-Force Pro 1TB drive on Dish receivers (622, 211)? Found one at a very good price and wanted to be sure they were ok. Had been thinking about something small and cheap just to move recordings off of a broken 622 (HDMI port bad), but for $60 I'll go with this one. (not sure if mentioning retailer is allowed).

TIA

Bill O'H

2. jpeckinp

jpeckinp Legend

Nov 5, 2006
    Fantom 500GB works. So I would say it's a good bet that the 1TB does also.

3. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    There is a thread External Hard Drives That Work.

I think it depends more on the enclosure/adapter, but I think any drive can work. The ones that have problems are those that have proprietary software on them. Once the drive is "cleaned" there is no problem.

I just use an external SATA to USB docking station and bare drives.

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Any and ALL external hard drives must have only one spindle, i.e., the 1T drive cannot have two 500GB drives in it with an interface that allows PC's to use both, the Dish Receiver will not recognize the second drive if it works at all.

Additionally, the EHD must have its own power supply, the Dish receiver cannot power the EHD.

5. billoh

billoh Cool Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Just an update. The drive works fine with my 622 receiver. The only difference from the online Dish instructions was that the drive was recognized, then formatted, then needed to be authorized for My Media.

I moved all the old shows from my old 622 yesterday. I didn't realize ahead of time (but probably should have) that the process wasn't to copy to the hard drive. Instead, it moved the data (no retained copy on the 622).

Bill O'H

6. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    You can watch the shows directly from the EHD, so you don't have to worry about moving them back the 622 to watch them. EHD is to expend storage space, so keeping a copy on both wouldn't help that much, as the internal drive would be just as full, as it was before.