1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External HD help please

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TTran, Apr 27, 2011.

1. TTran

TTran Mentor

Dec 17, 2008
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western...Id=9958432&st=western digital esata&cp=1&lp=1

Hello everyone,

Just got a HR21 as a replacement. I figure I lost everything already so why not add on more space so we wouldn't have to worry about erasing shows.

I just picked up the following HD from BB (Link Above). It states specifically on the box its a AV DVR expander and has DirecTV compatible on it. Reads on the back that HR21 is one of the compatible models.

Went through the steps on how to hook it up on here and it doesn't go through the formatting steps. I decided to unplug the HD and record a quick minute of some thing so it's on the internal HD just to be sure. Went through the steps again and did the same thing. Checked the list and recording was still there so I know the external HD isn't recognized.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TTran

TTran Mentor

Dec 17, 2008
    went through the diagnostics menu and ran the External Hard Drive Tests. showing NO DISK if that helps.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    DVR is off and unplugged to start.

connect the external to the DVR through the eSATA port(important, you cant connect it via USB),
    plug it in and power it up, wait a minute or so.
    plug the dvr back in...wait for it to do its thing.

Is this the exact procedure you are using?

4. TTran

TTran Mentor

Dec 17, 2008
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I went through those exact steps with esata. Did it a few times and tried the restart from the menu as well. I plugged that hd to my laptop and it was recognized with no problems. I think it may be a bad esata cable so I'm going to Pick up another cable to try.

5. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    Yes get a new cable...I have the WD My Book DVR Expander also. Cable was no good and replacement worked. Why they give us a crap cable to begin with is beyond me. WD will send you a new one if you call them but just delays getting up and running.

6. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    Note Best Buy may not have the right cable...good luck finding it locally. I ordered mine off the net at satacables.com . If you order it there be sure its the correct one. SS-1ESES 3ft or SS-2ESES 6ft .

7. TTran

TTran Mentor

Dec 17, 2008
  8. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    I messaged you...anyway the correct one to get is the ones I posted above. See satacables.com and scroll down.

9. TTran

TTran Mentor

Dec 17, 2008
    Thanks for the post. Before I order I will try to exchange the HD itself. Did I not get the right one in the link?

10. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    No you did not...like I said the one you need is exactly what I posted. You will likely not find it locally. There is nothing wrong with the HD, its really good actually. Sucks to go through this....but order the cable I told you. The right cable is SATA II.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
  12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd return that My Book and get one of the two external devices we recommend (because we know they work with all the HRs and come with the proper eSATA to eSATA jumper cables), either the Antec MX-1 or my personal favorite, the Thermaltake docking station. Also order a WD EVDS HDD in the size you want and you'll solve your problems quickly. They can be purchased at amazon.com and many other websites.

Rich

13. eoverholt

eoverholt New Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I have an HR21-100 HD DVR and want to save programs that have been saved on the internal hard drive to an external hard drive.

I am considering purchasing an Azio ENC311SU41 enclosure and a Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD10EARS. I would like to take the saved files and burn them onto a DVD burner that is on my pc, is this possible? Do I need special hardware and software on my pc to convert the saved files prior to burning them onto the DVD?

Thanks,
    Eric

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps the one from many thread will help you
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=181364&highlight=copy+files+dvr