1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External HDD Format question

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by gmgraves2, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmgraves2

gmgraves2 New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Dish Tech Supports tells me that External HDD for 622 uses a proprietary Linux HDD Format and that the receiver will reformat any disc connected to it. Is this true? If so, what is the format? XFS? I suspect that its plain ol' NTFS. Any insights on this? I can't get the silly thing to work even though I paid my (expletives deleted) $39!

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes, the receiver will need to format a drive to get it to work. The format is some kind of linux flavor, but beyond that, I don't know specifics. It's definitely not NTFS, or any other DOS/Windows format.

What problems are you having that you can't get to work? Hard to help you out much without more details - what kind of drive, etc...

3. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Not working sounds like your enclosure is not compatible with the 622/722 USB chipset.

4. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    I had this problem. I just formatted the EHDD back to FAT32 by removing all of the partitions by using Windows computer management. After the format, I just plugged it back into the 622. The EHDD was then formatted by the 622 without any problems.

5. Gary Noonan

Gary Noonan Mentor

Oct 14, 2005
    Format is clearly not windows. After a 750 gig Seagate FreeAgent Pro had problems with 622, moved it to computer for backups there. Windows reported 3 non-windows partitions, 1gig, ca 500 gigs, and197.6 gigs. About 700 gigs of the drive were reported by 633 as available for program storage.:)

6. Bagman

Bagman Cool Member

Aug 14, 2004
    I added a new WD Essentials 500gig to the 622 and it would not automatically format. I connected it to my PC and re-formatted the drive to NTFS (it came as FAT32) and all was well. I have since upgraded to a 722 and the WD connected without a hitch.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I have not bought an external drive yet nor paid for the enabling of the feature... but in some shopping around, I notice that many external hard drives come at least partially pre-formatted with a partition that contains software for the drive. Western Digital, for example, was one that I noted came with drivers and such installed on it already. I gather that means it came with probably a 1GB partition pre-formatted and installed with software... then the rest non-partitioned.

I wonder if some of this preformatting could be causing problems with the ViP receiver in some cases. If intended for use on the ViP perhaps connecting a computer briefly to remove all partitions would be prudent? I wonder if that is something Dish tested... i.e. testing off-the-shelf configured drives vs drives that had no partitions when first connected.

8. Gary Noonan

Gary Noonan Mentor

Oct 14, 2005
    My 750 gig Seagate Freeagent Pro came with a single large NTFS partitiion and some utilities in directories. WD drives have come with the old FAT32 and a single partition with some utilities in a directory.

9. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    The two new 500gig WD EHDs I used didn't have problems, The 622 said they needed to be formatted and that worked. I believe it wipes the drive to new most likely by zeroing the first few tracks, to a never partitioned state and then creates its partitions and sets up the file allocation tables as a linux drive type and does no scanning of the drive for bad sectors. It is to quick to be otherwise.

10. jmiahman

jmiahman New Member

May 5, 2008
    It's Ext3 ;)

11. etzeppy

etzeppy AllStar

Feb 16, 2007
    I just added a 750GB WD MyBook. It was formated by the ViP622 to just under 700GB. Is that normal? Is there something I should have done to capture the full 750GB?

12. etzeppy

etzeppy AllStar

Feb 16, 2007
    I think this question is answered here:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=147703

It would seem that this is unrecoverable overhead.

13. nicktripp

nicktripp Cool Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Not quite, but it's better explained in the other thread. :D

14. etzeppy

etzeppy AllStar

Feb 16, 2007
    I should have remembered that 1024 bytes equals 1 Kilobyte. I did not realize that manufacturers took so much liberty with their definition of "GB". I just assumed that 750 GB was indeed 750 Gigabytes.

15. hentom

hentom New Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Alabama
    Most of you must not be computer savy. Even on a computer, a 750 GB does not produce 750 GB of usable space. To format a disc. it uses up some of the space. This is space reserved for the name, operating system, format, directory, etc.

16. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Allow me to say :welcome:

Congratulations on digging up a 5 year old thread.
    Nothing to do with space lost to partitioning and formatting.
    From Here Hard drives use 1000 bytes as a Kilobyte. Microsoft uses 1024 Bytes for 1Kilobyte
    as for Microsoft's definition
    As a example my 1Tb external has 1,000,203,833,504 bytes of storage.
    Or as Microsoft calls it 931 Gigabytes.

1Tb .jpg
    I must not be computer savvy since I believe this. After All I have only been using, building, upgrading and repairing them since the 80s.

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    isn't time to lock the thread ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.