1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

External HDD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mastrauckas, Jan 26, 2013.

1. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    I store a bunch of games on my computer and have to burn them to Blu-Ray disk to watch them, which can be annoying.

I was wondering if you have videos in m2ts or MPEG-4 on a external HDD and hook it to a Direct Tv HD-DVR reciever, can I watch those videos?

Or can you only use the external HDD for extended space?

Thanks,
    Michael

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It can only be used for storage of recordings. And using the phrase of extended space is a bit of a misnomer. The DVR will use either the internal or external drive, but not both at the same time. If you want to play video from your computer in your TV via your DirecTV receiver, you need to do it via MediaShare or use an older version of TVersity.

- Merg

3. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    Doesn't MediaShare have limitations? All the videos are in HD and 3 or 4 hours in length. Can I stream these from my computer to my receiver using MediaShare?

4. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    I believe if you connect that drive to the receiver, it will re-format the drive and you will loose your saved videos.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    You are correct. Any drive you attach to an HR that is not already formatted for use on an HR will be re-partitioned and formatted on boot.

6. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    Ok, thanks. I guess I'll have to find another way of doing it.

7. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    no u cannot use the external HDD to extend space.
    it will replace the DVR's internal HDD