1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External RAID 1 or RAID 5 via ESATA?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SomeRandomIdiot, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1 of 35
    SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    I have searched the threads, but the threads concerning this seem to be from 2006 and 2008 without any current relevant info.

Having just lost an EXTERNAL eSATA 1.5TB drive loaded with programming from the past 12 months, I am not exactly keen on doing that again.

Is there a (or multiple) reasonably priced external hardware solutions that one can connect to a HR-2x for any type of redundancy?

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry mean RAID 0 or RAID 5.

2. Sep 4, 2010 #2 of 35
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    RAID technology is not changed since 2006.

RAID 0 doesn't provide any redundancy.
    RAID 1 is a mirror - could work for you, but need double storage.
    RAID 5 require 3+ equal drives, usable size will be one drive less.

Look for [expensive] HW based (OS/chipset independent) eSATA boxes.

3. Sep 4, 2010 #3 of 35
    SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    grrr....so I had it correct in the title. One of your posts from 2008 has it backwards and thats why I editted it, thinking I had it reversed :(

4. Sep 5, 2010 #4 of 35
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Your title is correct.

[How I did confuse you, if I'm used the different RAIDs for 20+ years. :confused:]

5. Sep 6, 2010 #5 of 35
    jgriffin104

jgriffin104 Mentor

Sep 21, 2006
    I use 4 raid 1 cases with two TB Seagate drives in each one on 4 of my hr24 DVR's.

I was tired of loosing recording on main hard drives and ESATA drives.
    The case's came from Ebay at $90 each and the Drives were on sale at Fry's for $156 each. Setup was pushing the new drives into the case and shutting the doors. Connecting the supplied Esata cabe to the DVR and setting the rotary swith to Raid 1 and pushing the reset button.Then rebooting the DVR.

I used Gparted to record all the main drives first. I only used one hr24 to do the graceful power down on all the new drives, after they formatted, then copied each pair right from their HR24 case with a 3 foot Sata and power cable. One thing nice was you can copy one drive right after another in Gparted for both drives in each Raid case.

Hope this answers your question. If not PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

6. Sep 6, 2010 #6 of 35
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    The case's came from Ebay at $90 each - would be nice to have the model/maker or URL to the item at least.

7. Sep 7, 2010 #7 of 35
    jgriffin104

jgriffin104 Mentor

Sep 21, 2006
    USB 2.0 to eSATA Raid 0 JBOD 2-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure by Sans Digital

Item number: 360204963136
    Item location: Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Ships to: United States
    Payments: PayPal See payment details

I offer $90 and was accepted. I bought 4 more after the first one tested to work on the HR24.

8. Sep 7, 2010 #8 of 35
    jgriffin104

jgriffin104 Mentor

Sep 21, 2006
    Thank you all for the PM's.

No , you don't have to do anything to the drives other than plug them into the HR24 ESATA plug to format them. I used Gparted to copy all the drives in 4 of my HR24's, I wanted the recordings already on then on the External drives. I have a Wife that watches Rachel Ray and The View, and a 90 year old Mother That watches Law and Order over and over falling asleep durning most of them.

If you only want to add the external raid case you only let the HR24 format the drives.
    You don't need to open the HR24 case if you're not going to copy your internal drive.

I used one HR24 to format all 10 2tb drives one after another. I used an ESATA to SATA
    cable and an old USB to IDE adapter power supply and the power cord adapter that came with each drive. I then pushed each drive into the case and shut the access door and that was it. Turned on the case and set the rotary switch to Raid 1, pushed the reset button watched the leds flash and pluged in the ESATA cable that came with the case to the HR24. Then pluged in the HR24 and watched it boot up. All have been running fine for the last 3 or 4 months.

I was in a hurry to get thing up and running and didn't try to format both drives in the raid case at the same time. I chose to format them individually in case any of the 2TB drives were defective out of the box. None were and all is well.

9. Sep 7, 2010 #9 of 35
    unixguru

unixguru Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    Your earlier post said RAID-1. Raid 0 JBOD is NOT RAID-1.

10. Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    Most of the SANS digital boxes do RAID 0,1,and JBOD.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Sorry to disappoint you, BUT you're running not RAID-1.

See the Sans Digital Mobile Strorage Enclosure (MS2UTN+B) description: "Note: For eSATA connection, port multiplier support required for 2 RAID volume, eSATA without port multiplier support will only detect the first volume".
    NO one DVR has port multiplier inside.

Reading SANS DIGITAL site, I found the MOBILERAID line support OS independent RAID configurations : http://www.sansdigital.com/mobileraid/index.php

12. jgriffin104

jgriffin104 Mentor

Sep 21, 2006
    I hate to dissapoint you. I'm an engineer and not that stupid to not check with the factory. If you try to use two Esata cases you will need the port multiplier. One case with 2 drives works fine it is seen a one drive and mirrored. And the drives are hot swapable and if one fails you slap in another and it is reproduced. And yes I tested it out completely before buying the other 3 cases.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Interesting, why the description is misleading ...

Could you please describe what exactly tests you did with the enclosure ? [As an engineer to an engineer. :)] How you found it does mirroring ?

14. jgriffin104

jgriffin104 Mentor

Sep 21, 2006
    The quote in their description is misleading. I called the manufacturer and discused to issue. They pointed out that there is only one ESATA connection on the case and it is considered a complete volume with two drives. If you were to need two volumes you would need a port multiplier to connect the second case.

I tested the first case with a pair of 1 TB drives. After a week of recording, I pulled both drives and connected each one to the HR24 and booted to the drives seperately and watched several recording from each drive and then the same recordings from both drives. I then recorded a movie from HBO and the View from local TV. I than did the same thing with the second drive, a Stars Western Channel movie and Two And A Half Men and Big Bang Theory.

I then placed both drives back into the case and booted the case and then
    the HR24. I left them overnight with both LEDS flashing activity.

The next day I watched both movies and the 3 tv shows. Then removed both drives again, and connected each one seperately again and booted the HR24.
    Both movies and all three tv shows were on the first drive and I watched one whole movie and part of the other. I then swaped the drives and booted the Hr24 and watched the second movie and part of the first and the 3 tv shows. The case had mirrored both drives.

I then replaced both drives in the case and let the first movie run all the way through. I then pulled the bottom drive and replaced it with a formated empty drive without turning off anything to see if it was really hot swapable.

I left it run after clearing the alarm LED and the mute alarm button. The next day it was still flashing the LEDS.

I pulled the botton drive and connected it to the HR24 and about 45 recording
    had been mirrored on the new drive.

I concluded they weren't lying about their case and ordered 3 more for the HR24's and 1 four bay for my main computer.

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Thank you for sharing your experiments/tests with the device - I'm convinced now. :)

16. PennyPincherP

PennyPincherP Cool Member

Aug 18, 2010
    I noticed you got a 4 bay unit for your PC. I just got a 5 bay but how can you partition the storage to keep 2TB volumes that older Windows can recognize?

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    By Disk Manager - when creating partitions make a limit to 2 GB for each.

18. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Just a quick reminder, raid drives will not protect you if your DVR itself goes bad due to the way DirecTV handles externals.

If you really can't stand to lose the content, get a Hauppauge HD PVR and record them to your computer and burn as a BluRay disc.

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Damn it!

20. PennyPincherP

PennyPincherP Cool Member

Aug 18, 2010
    It's too tedious and time consuming. Barely have time to watch content, let alone RIP and manage it.