1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Storage Error

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by acostapimps, Jan 6, 2013.

1. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I'm receiving External Storage Error Detected which I'm thinking is from external hard drive, it say to reboot and replug on the system test, even though I see my recordings on the playlist and plays it with no problems, or maybe I'm wrong and could be something else or maybe esata cable defective not sure, I already menu restart but keep seeing that message.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    run Diag, test the external and Internal just in case

3. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    good idea thanks I really never thought of that

4. mrphil

mrphil Cool Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Same/similar issue here. Had issue with apps not working, so I ran a system test. (Fixed that issue by restarting network services.) In running the system test, received:

Diagnostic Code:75-938 External Storage Error Detected...a problem was detected reading your external storage device....

I restarted receiver, entered diagnostics, and ran literally every test available...including the external drive surface and SMART Long tests...both of which took approx 6 hours each. All tests passed with 0 errors. Rebooted receiver and continue to receive the same error when running the system test. I'm experiencing no apparent issues with recordings, playback, or any other facets of operation. (Already planning on copying the external drive over to a WD20EURS this wknd using instructions found elsewhere on the forum just to be safe) I don't understand why I'm passing all the diagnostics mode tests, but fail in the test that takes all of 1 minute....

HR24/500 0x062C
    Antec MX-1 w/WD20EVDS Drive (Installed 12/2010 2% Free)
    (Yes...I know what you're thinking....I could also fill up a 3TB drive if D* would make that possible....lol)

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If you could look into system logs on the HDD ... perhaps you'll find an answer.