1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extra HD in my old Tivo Hr10

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cooljoe815, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooljoe815

cooljoe815 New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    The old HR 10 died but I do have an extra HD there doing nothing. Now I have the DVR HR20.

I am a noobie but I am pretty good in following instructions if they broken down in simple steps. I put the extra HD on my old Tivo w/ a buddy.

what the best way to go about doing this?

2. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    Not totally following what you're asking. Can you rephrase?

3. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Hard time following, but you cannot add an "extra" hard drive to the HR20/21.

You can add an eSata drive, but it takes the place of the internal drive and must be larger than 300GB (that's the size of the internal drive).

That old DirecTIVO drive is pretty much useless.

4. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    You can use the old HR10 hard drive in a PC.

5. cooljoe815

cooljoe815 New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Sorry for the unclear question.
    Can I replace the HR20 HD with this other HD that is bigger?

6. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    You can certainly replace the HDD in the HR20, although since it is leased you could get stuck with a big replacement cost if it ever failed. I would try it personally, but that is me. The standard HDD in an HRxx is 300 gig, I am assuming the spare you have is larger. There is a thread(do a search) on the proceedure for swapping drives on this forum. Have fun and remember at you own risk:) And also, as mentioned, you can use a stand alone e-sata external drive.

7. Runch Machine

Runch Machine AllStar

Nov 19, 2005
    The hard drives in your Tivo won't work in the Directv HD DVR because the new DVR uses SATA drives and the TIvo uses PATA drives.

8. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    Not to mention it's 50GB's smaller, even if you could.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.