1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

extra receiver in garage

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hartwa, Dec 14, 2011.

1. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    Hi guys....

Quick question. I built 2nd detached garage. I called direct TV and they said that I could aadd a receiver out there but it would add 2 years to my agreement if I got the receiver from them. I decided to buy one my self....picked up a hr 21_100 on Amazon. This is the same receiver that I already have leased from direct TV.

Can I just take the card out of that receiver and use it in my new receiver when I want to work in my garage?....or are the cards matched to the receiver?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hartwa

2. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    The card is married to the receiver. Also, if you got it from Amazon, it will probably be leased when you activate it.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The receiver will come with a new card, and yes, the receiver will be leased (which means it will add a commitment). "Buying" a receiver from Amazon, Solid Signal, or any other 3rd party retailer is still LEASING.

4. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    Thanks for the help....i guess they got me either way...

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    You just built a Garage so that means your going to "FLIP" the property and a two year commit is just too much to take :lol:

6. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    This was on the Amazon page I saw.....

DIRECTV® requires a 24 month commitment and all equipment must be returned to DIRECTV® if customer cancels service with DIRECTV®

7. bubbagscotch

bubbagscotch AllStar

Oct 31, 2009
    You could have bought an owned receiver off ebay and just would have to buy a card from directv for $20 with no commitment. Then you can have it activated and deactivated as you wish. With that you just need to ask for the receiver Id number and call Directv to confim it's an owned receiver.

8. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    I should mention that I bought the receiver used from a seller on Amazon not Amazon itself. I just sent him an email to see if it is owned or leased. If it leased what did I pay for?

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If it is leased, you paid for nothing, because DirecTv will not let you activate it. They will request you mail it back to them, as it is their property.

If it is owned, you are in good shape. Get a new access card from DirecTv for $20, and activate it, contract free. When you call to order the access card, DirecTv will verify the Receiver ID (RID) number to confirm its owned, prior to sending you the card. It also has to be deactivated (from previous owners account), and cannot have any outstanding balance (PPV, past due bill, etc).

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If it was an owned receiver you paid whatever the value is and will own it. If it had been activated as leased, you will not be able to activate it and the seller would be liable for the non-return fee. In a case like that, Amazon should be able to get you a refund.

11. hartwa

hartwa Mentor

Jun 27, 2010
    thanks for the help guys....no comment from the seller yet. This was the only one that he had for sale and the only description said "used very good condition".

I was surprised that he only wanted 40$ for it...so if it is leased and I cannot get a refund I am not out a lot of money.

btw...I saw that the hr21's got bad reviews on Amazon. The one I already have works fine.....I am a little worried th sat this one was so cheap because it is bad.