1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extra satellite dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by repoman75, Jul 19, 2010.

1. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    So, for whatever reason, my friend is moving and has an extra Directv satellite dish (not sure why the company is asking for it back.. ).

He asked me if I need it. I think it's the HD one (not sure of the model). Anyways, is there any reason why you would need 2, or is it even worth selling?

2. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Keep for parts or as a replacement if it's equal or better than yours.

3. bigmike200587

bigmike200587 Mentor

Oct 24, 2009
    The only reason you would need 2 dishes for hd is if you were taking one on a camping trip or something like that or at a 2nd location. You can normally sell easily. (dishes, switches, cables etc. are not sent back to D* they belong to the customer)

4. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    Good piont... now, let's say I have this dish and I go camping. Do I just need to plug it in to one of my existing boxes and voila? Or do I need to contact Dtv to have it setup?

5. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Yup. If your dish is pointed correctly you'll get all your programming minus the local channels. Local channels come in on what is called a spot beam. Once you leave that spot beam you lose those channels.

6. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    If you're handy, you can align it yourself. Just mark where it worked on hardware and point it the same way again next time. DirecTV wouldn't be much help to you in Yosemite Valley.

7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Careful or you will end up like me with more spares than you could ever use.