1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Extra standard receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by cecil240, Apr 16, 2013.

1. cecil240

cecil240 New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Cookeville
    I presently have Directv with HDDVR in Den and a standard receiver in computer room. I only have 3 lines coming from the dish as far as I know. I was wondering if I can put another line in for an extra bedroom standard receiver and if Directv
    would require another commitment. Of course, I am not going anywhere except with Directv. I am going on 4 years with them.

Does Direct require an installer to do this?

Cecil240

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    it looks like you have a "legacy" system where your DVR requires two lines. If this is the case, you have another output open on your LNB. you can run the coax from the LNB to the new room where the SD receiver will be located. Getting the receiver will trigger another commitment regardless if you or DirecTV does the installation.

3. cecil240

cecil240 New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Cookeville
    I think I will skip on the extra standard receiver and upgrade the computer room with HD. I was going to get another larger than 46" HD TV for the living room and move the present one to the computer room, this move would make more sense then having standard anyway. If I do that, would my present system support just a HD receiver in this room?

Cecil240

4. Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski Mentor

Nov 17, 2011
    assuming you have a legacy lnb you need to make sure you don't get an H25 as those are swm only.

5. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    If you are going to upgrade anyway, consider an hd dvr. It may be more upfront depending upon what sort of deal you can get, but the monthly costs would be the same. You would need an extra line or conversion to swm.

6. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    RIght, I would get an HDDVR as well… Call them up and see what you are "eligible" for

7. cecil240

cecil240 New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Cookeville
    I don't see a need for a second HD DVR as I already have one in the living room.

Cecil240

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    it would double your recording capacity and with WH, you could watch in either room.