1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook to hit 500 million users

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Meteoric rise has come with growing pains

Full story @ wapo.com

See thread and movie trailer for the upcoming film "The Social Network" here.

2. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I wonder how many "ACTUAL" users Facebook really has?
    I know people who have 4 & 5 accounts because they are so addicted to playing games such as Farmville & Mafia Wars

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Although I have a "presence" on Facebook, I have to confess that I don't use it all that much. I'm uncomfortable with sharing all my personal information with people I don't know, and am troubled by the fact that every newspaper, TV station, car dealer and grocery store seems to have a presence, inviting you to be their friend. :eek2:
    Guess I'm too old, too suspicious or just to ignorant of the inner workings of Facebook. :confused:

4. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I'm on there but find it boring. I hardly ever post anything.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think much like our little community, there are heavy users and casual users. I will say, that unlike our community, you're required to register in order to use it. So, you have a lot of registrations that way.

Any site that either requires you to register or strongly encourages it through overly intrusive advertising for non-members is going to have an inflated member list.

6. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I only allow "friends" to read anything I post, and I'm picky about my"friends". Unlike some users I'm not a "friend" collector.
    I don't post that often. And I don't play those stupid games

7. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Smiddy, my sentiments exactly. I only joined so I could keep up with my eldest son's adventures in Afghanistan. All my fb privacy settings are cranked down tighter than nuclear (not nuculer) launch codes

Oh, also to get minute-to-minutes updates of my granddaughter's latest Farmville achievements. :rolleyes:

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    What's a Facebook? :eek2:

<Guess that speaks to my take on this....>

P.T. Barnum was right.

9. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Oh yea, I met my wife on Facebook. :D We knew each other 37 years ago. So some good can come from FBI.

10. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    No need to insult those that participate on FB, different strokes.

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Not meant to insult, so much as point out how many people are willingly open to security breaches of their personal lives and information. Knowing that this has been repeatedly reported in the news media...perhaps Pied Piper comparison would be more appropriate. ;)

12. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    I agree.....some people do enter these sort of things with uninformed trust. Kind of like in the lawyer thread. :lol:

13. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I am on FB only so old friends can find me if they want to. Used to use Classmates, but it seems to have fallen out of favor. I don't post to my wall hourly some some people or even monthly. I don't update when I am on vacation or away for the day. If you are an old friend, look me up and we can connect via phone or email.

14. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I think there alot of good intentions with Facebook....but the security risk doesn't match up to the reward.

15. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    This pretty much my attitude when it comes to Facebook as well. I have been on Facebook for close to 2 years and maybe have posted an "Update" no more than 3 or 4 times. I do not post photo's and the most you could get from profile (unless you are a friend) is that I'm male!

To be perfectly honest, People on DBSTalk probably no more about me then someone on Facebook :D

16. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    The idea of Facebook is great, but I still do not allow friends or family to post pictures of me or my kids on their pages. I am not normally a paranoid person but I do stick by this rule. The only problem with this is I have never been on Facebook or even seen a Facebook page so if they are posting pics I'd probably be the last to know.

17. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    I'm not a member of face book nor will I ever join,but each and every month I hear about whats being said on the site by relatives and friends,most of it is some kind of gossip that should have never been posted on a public forum in the first place.

It is nearly impossible to plan a surprise,family event or travel trip without someone telling the whole planet about it.:confused:

18. donbean

donbean AllStar

Mar 13, 2010
    at one point i said 'if you cant beat em join em'... i have grown to like it there a little... All the women are there too :) i got over the picture thing but it can be awkward when your tagged in an old photo :)

19. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Before Facebook, I remember people talking up MySpace as the "place to be"... and before that? I can't remember what before that was...

It will not be long before Facebook is not "the" thing... that seems to be the nature of things.

So I'll continue to ignore it, as I did the other similar things before that.