1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"fading" picture

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gb33, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gb33

gb33 Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    Has anyone else had this problem? While watching television, live or recorded, HD or SD, the picture will flicker with a darker cast, then back to normal a few times. Then it will get progressively darker, darker, darker, then gone. After a couple seconds comes back. I have had this off and on for past week, one time requiring a restart. I use component cables only in a direct connection to the television. Acts like when a cable is just barely making contact (have had it with PS2 plug before).
    Anyone else anything similar? I would REALLY rather not send this thing back. Oh and I am on the old software here in the Midwest.

2. g4jedi

g4jedi Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    What kind of TV is it? If it's DLP, it could be the bulb. Check other video sources like a DVD player. Try a hard reset of the HR20. If not, sounds like a bad unit.

3. gb33

gb33 Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    Not the TV as other sources (ant, DVD) have never done this, at least I have never seen it. It is a direct view CRT anyways (RCA F38310) so no bulb.
    Really, this is a one and only thing that has happened to me?

4. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I had a CRT television fail this way (I believe it was a capacitor going bad). Are you certain it's not the TV? Try spending an a couple hours watching a few DVDs or tapes to verify it's not the HR20.

5. iceman2a

iceman2a Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    Hudson, FL...
    Sounds to me like a TV problem!

I also had a conventional TV fail this way!

Have also had problem with lose comp connection but that was not the sympton? :confused:

6. gb33

gb33 Legend

Sep 8, 2006
    Again, I have never had this with other devices in component inputs. believe me, I would like for it to be the TV, But after it does all this, it then displays "weak signal" so it is not the tv.

7. g4jedi

g4jedi Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    Call D*

8. GoKings

GoKings New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    gb33, I had what sounds like the same problem one day earlier this week. The picture would lose brightness over 10-20 seconds, and then go to a blank screen and I would just hear the audio. Going to list and then re-starting the playback got the picture back, but then it would happen again. I have a Sharp Aquos 45" LCD that's less than a year old, so I don't think it's the TV. I use component video cables directly from the HR20 to the TV to get my picture.

I never had the issue until I got the OxEB update. I got upgraded to OxEF early Wednesday morning and did not have the issue last night, so I'm hoping it's an OxEB issue, but too early to tell. I'd wait to get the OxEF upgrade and see how it goes. For what it's worth, the OxEF update feels like a real step forward so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.