1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fahrenheit 9/11 - US release date June 25

Discussion in 'The OT' started by ypsiguy, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 2, 2004 #1 of 58
    ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    So who's planning on going? I know I am. :D

2. Jun 3, 2004 #2 of 58
    mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Well, Here is the one man who won't . Ray Bradbury was very clear that he considered Moore a dishonest thief, but refused to answer if he would press charges in any way. Because Moore stole his title .

3. Jun 3, 2004 #3 of 58
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I will go if only to see what it is all about. The use of the title without Bradbury's consent (and in fact in the face of his outright dispproval) concerns me but not enough that I would not go.

I just don't know whether all this will help or hurt the box office for the remake of Fahrenheit 451. While I doubt that a lawsuit would be sucessful (my personal opinion) I still think that such an "Homage" (if indeed it is that) shouldl have been cleared with Bradbury in light of his own plans to promote the books re-release and to put out another film based on it.

4. Jun 3, 2004 #4 of 58
    Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I don't plan to see it. Michael Moore plays pretty loose with the facts, only giving the facts the support his position. Yes, I have seen his other movies. He doesn't let the truth get in the way of his opinions. Ever since his absolutely classless Academy Awards speech, I really have no interest in what he has to say.

5. Jun 3, 2004 #5 of 58
    ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    They showed a few clips last night on NBC nightly news and all I could do was shake my head at GWjr. He really did not seem to be taking terrorist threats very seriously.

6. Jun 3, 2004 #6 of 58
    HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Bradbury does not have a copyright or trademark on the word. He could not legitimately file any sort of suit against Moore on that regard. Now Moore, on the other hand, would have a reasonable case of slander against Bradbury, but it is doubtful he would want to pursue such.

BTW, to "press charges" implies a criminal act. Even if Moore's use of the word were actionable, it would be a civil matter, not criminal.

7. Jun 3, 2004 #7 of 58
    HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Sounds eerily similar to Bush and the Bushies. :D

8. Jun 3, 2004 #8 of 58
    mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    You democrats should go and see this movie. But be warned, He goes after you too. As for the clip they showed on NBC it was a slap at Bush but again the 400 pound slop did not show you the whole clip and tell you when it was taped.

9. Jun 3, 2004 #9 of 58
    Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    MAybe you only go to films that you feel you will agree with. and maybe that is the right ploicy for you. But I have seen several films that I did not agree with but that I found entertaining/stimulating and/or interesting. That is the attitude that I would go to this film with.

10. marko

marko Godfather

Jan 8, 2003
    That is pretty much how I feel too. Just can't feel too inclined to see a movie of his after that.

11. thevoice

thevoice AllStar

Sep 24, 2002
    This is why I am going to see it - All class!

12. ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    No interest in what he says, huh? I know that feeling. I have it every time "His Fraudulency" Rutherford B. Bush opens his stupid mouth. I can't wait for Bill Maher to get back on HBO with his show. He was good on Larry King last night.

Hey voice :righton:

13. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Oh yeah Maher is a riot calling our servicemen cowards.

14. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Not that Bill Maher has ANYTHING to do with this but is this the Bill Maher statement you are referring to----

"Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what
    you want about it, it's not cowardly. We have been the cowards, lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly,"
    Bill Leary Maher 9-26-01

Or has there been some other statement?

15. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    He didn't. Just because you don't like hearing the truth you shouldn't shoot the messenger. And guess what? Disagreeing with the president and protesting the war in Iraq also does not disparage our troops. I can have the utmost respect for the men and women in uniform while loathing their commander in thief/chief and thinking the war in Iraq was a huge and costly mistake.

16. ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    Maher's main point was that it took a lot of guts for them to do what they did, staying on those planes. It was ABSOLUTELY WRONG and MISGUIDED, but it still took a lot of courage. To me, it shows the dangers of religious extremism.

17. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    So the terrorist take innocent people into the World Trade Center and they are not cowards. But because we are smart enough to drop bombs on them and not have our people killed we are? :confused:

18. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Courage is the wrong word for terrorist.Courage is going after a soldier that is in danger knowing you may die yourself. Bill Maher is a complete idiot.

19. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    No, It shows the dangers of being stupid .

20. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    And what did you think about a President have a quickie in the Oval Office while talking to a commander on the phone about sending troops to a dangerous mission?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.