1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failed install of HR 34. Help!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Todd1001, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Todd1001

Todd1001 New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Hi All.

I currently have an hr24, which is now several years old but works pretty well (but slow). I have two HD TVs hooked up to it... one is in another room connected with a 30' HDMI, the other a few feet away with component.

Directv agreed to upgrade me to the HR34. The installer came today, however when he hooked up the new receiver, the signal to the TV in the other room (connected with the 30' HDMI cable) had a ton of dropout and the audio was sporadic. He thought the problem was with the receiver, so he tried another one, but same problem. So he determined it was an issue with the HDMI cable (which is under the carpet and can't be replaced.

Not being able to figure out a solution, he hooked up my old HR-24 again, and took the new box with him. So I'm stuck with the old one.

What I can't figure out is why the picture would be perfect with old box, but not with the new. Same distance, same cable. I'd expect a newer model to have a stronger signal (if that's indeed the problem).

Anyone have any suggestions so I can upgrade at some point and not be stuck with an old receiver forever?

2. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    For the $6/mo. I'd relocate the HR24 to the other room. It's hardly several years old anyway :lol:

3. Todd1001

Todd1001 New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    that's not possible due to wiring issues...

4. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    I have not hooked up my 34 to anything other then HDMI but I wonder if anyone has done this same thing? Hooked up an HDMI cable along with Component? They may be of more help. And I could maybe do this tomorrow, I could hook up my Kitchen Vizio to component and have both on at the same time and see what happens.

But I have to agree that 24 is hardly years old!! Admit it, you just wanted more tuners! :)

Edit: Oh and why is it a wiring problem when you have and HDMI cable under the carpet?

5. Todd1001

Todd1001 New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Yes, I want more tuners! But really I want a receiver that doesn't have a 10 second delay every time I push a button on the remote.

In answer to your question, the installer tried it without the component cables connected and that didn't help. So it seems that for some reason, the newer unit won't work with the HDMI cable I have under the carpet.

Edit: It's a wiring problem because I have the HDMI under the carpet, not the satellite cable.

6. krazyrs

krazyrs Cool Member

Sep 21, 2011
    should be simple enough to add a 2way behind the hr34 and pull a coax in place of the HDMI to keep both the hr34/hr24

7. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    A 30 foot HDMI cable will be marginal if it uses 28 AWG wire. The original HDMI cables and most under carpet HDMI cables were 28 AWG wire and were usually reliable up to 25 feet but were suggested not to exceed 15 feet. The newer cables use 24 or 22 AWG wire and will support 50 feet or more. I once had a 25 foot 28 AWG HDMI cable that worked well on one HR21-700 but would not work at all on a second HR21-700. I have since replaced all my HDMI cables with 24 AWG wire and one 60 foot cable is 22 AWG.

8. cbhpi

cbhpi AllStar

Nov 17, 2008
    Remember to check a new cable before you pull it, if you go that route.

9. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The 24 is faster than the 34.

10. Todd1001

Todd1001 New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    the 24 is faster than the 34? you gotta be kidding me? how many years have they had to fix the speed issues???

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Actually I have both and in general they are the same speed. HR34 takes a little longer to delete something.

HR34 has been out since February officially.