1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failing internal hard drive? HR24-500

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Griff, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Griff

Griff Legend

Sep 24, 2006
    One of my three HR24-500s is acting strange. All is well until I have reason to reboot it, then it pops up a warning that there is a hard drive problem. It then proceeds to run some hours-long test that never finds anything. The unit works normally until the next reboot and repeats the above. There is an external drive in use since day one. Recordings are never affected. I suspect that if there is a problem, it is with the internal drive and that is why the problem (if any) is only detected on startup.

I hate to call DTV for 2 reasons: 1) if they replace the unit, my 2tbs of recordings are toast; and, 2) I paid $200 for this box and there is no guarantee that I will get an HR24 in return.

I guess my question to you is, does this sound like the internal drive is failing? Thanks for any help.

Gene

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Try unplugging the external drive and rebooting

3. Griff

Griff Legend

Sep 24, 2006
    Thanks, I should have thought of that. I did, AFTER I made the post. I'm at work now, will try it tomorrow.

4. subeluvr

subeluvr Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    I thought that if there was an eSATA drive connected to an HR24-any model that it's POST and boot was off the eSATA drive.

My HR24-100 HD died a quick death out of the box and I hooked up an eSATA drive and it booted and operated perfectly till the replacement DVR arrived.

If you have an eSATA drive connected and it throws any HD error it should be referring to the external drive. If you pull the plug on the HR24 and disconnect the external drive then plug in the power cord for the HR24 it should boot up on it's internal drive.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Connect your external drive to PC and using Victoria (under Windows), post SMART values before and after Scan with Remap=ON. If you want run standalone test - burn a bootable CD with MHDD. I would check internal same way, but if you own it.