1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failure to get signal on 1 of 3 622s

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by eddiwill, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiwill

eddiwill Cool Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Hello! Kind of a "techie" question: :)

I have 3 VIP622s. Two of them are getting all their signals just fine. One is not. Here is what I am getting now:

Sat input 1: 110 and 119 show "OK "
    Sat input 2: RED X under 110 box labeled "Trans"

And at the bottom of each respective sat box:

Sat input 1 Reception Verified, switch SW64
    Sat input 2 reception Error, switch DP Feed

I have checked all the connections to the 622 and outside at ground level. Roof is too high for me to get to. I am thinking something has come loose, connection-wise. Does that make sense?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    On the working receivers, what are you seeing?

3. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    Do you have a DPP 44 switch? I have seen this happen when the power inserter fails on a DPP 44 switch.

4. eddiwill

eddiwill Cool Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Both of the other 622s appear as always-- I can see evrything with no errors at all.

Is there a way-- short of climbing up on the roof (which I can't do; it's 3 stories and I am afrais of heights!)-- to tell what knd od switch I actuallyhave?

Thanks!

5. fredinva

fredinva Legend

May 10, 2006
    No need to go up on the roof if the other receivers are ok.

Try swapping separators and see what happens.

fred

6. baudilus

baudilus New Member

Jun 13, 2007
    I'm assuming that they are all centrally wired and connected to a switch - simply locate the connection(s) to the "bad" 622 and swap them with a good one. Does the problem stay with the same 622 or move to the other?

If the problem stays with the same 622, it's either the box itself or that particular wiring between it and the switch.

If it moves to the good 622, then the problem is probably the switch.

7. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    Here's an idea. Call Dish for service.

If you don't know anything about the system, can't climb up to the dish, how are you going to fix it?

What type of dish.
    Dish 500 with a 300?

DP34 switch
    DPP44 switch

Separators on the back of the receivers or 2 coax runs?

I mean we might as well shoot our bullets straight up in the air as to speculate this problem.

8. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I have had a similar problem, even replaced cabling to the problem reciever.
    Did a FULL power reset on all recievers at the sametime, and it resolved the issue.

9. eddiwill

eddiwill Cool Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Do ya think?

Fact is, I DID call Dish about it, and have for other issues as well. Usually (and I could almost say ALWAYS), I get FAR better results with forum members "shooting into the air" than I do from the "experts" at Dish. Of course, they'll be happy to send some random knuckle-head to my house, and charge me for the privilege! (Sorry to anyone who truly is a wise and competent installer/tech; you've never been dispatched to my house).

Dish service simply is NOT good. I have been on the phone with them several times over the last 6 months and each time they tell me my account is "pending"-- I have had Dish for 2 years. Pretty sure nothing is "pending." Each time they vow to change the info, and each time... well, you get the picture.

So, that's why I came here; to avoid if at all possible a Dish service call (which I would gladly pay for if I was at all confident of a positive experience).

Back to the matter I hand. I do know I have 2 sats— something about my location required a 2nd dish to get some of the channels (the HD ones, I think)

10. eddiwill

eddiwill Cool Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Thanks Grumpy Bear— so you essentially unplugged al at the same time and then plugged back in? Am I correct?

11. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Yes, thats what I did. I have had to do it a few times over the last year, normally after a big storm. Don't know why, it works, it just does. Not sure if it will help you are not though, but I hope it does.

12. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    Ok I get it. :D

Had you hinted to that in your post I would have kept my trap shut.
    For all I knew you were too cheap to call dish. ;)

how many total receivers in the house?
    More than likely there is a switch somewhere between the Dish and the receivers.
    Could you kindly follow those wires from the dish and see where they go to? Thanks.

This man's horror story is just another reason why I preach to use a local dealer instead of the clown patrol in the vans.
    At least with a local guy if he doesn't step up you can go put a foot up his !@#!

13. eddiwill

eddiwill Cool Member

Feb 19, 2007
    I hear ya! I really wish I had just gone local. It's a major crap-shoot when the subs come out. I did get one guy who I could tell truly wanted to do a good job, but he was sorely lacking in the know-how.

I have a total of three 622s-- 2 are leased and one is purchased. The one I am having issues with is also the one that has that cable feeding a signal to another non-HD set.

There are SO MANY cables, it's just nuts. I do have the splitter (I guess that's what it's called) in the back of the 622 (and the others as well). Took it off, put it back, all of that. On the side of my house, I have this big Terk box with (I think) 8 ports. Oddly, only one cable connects to a port here, though this is the place where all the cables "converge" A real rat's nest. Then it's up to the roof to the 2 dishes.

Thanks for revisiting the problem; truly appreciated!

14. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    Hey if you could snap a picture of that rats nest that would be great.

Sounds like you have a Dish 1000.2 with an additional dish picking up 61.5

Lets rule out a bad separator as I have had a bad one before. Pull the splitter/separator from a good working box and move to the problem box. Run a switch test and let us know if that fixes it.

15. eddiwill

eddiwill Cool Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Yes! I will take a pic this evening-- great idea! Where can I buy a separator? Rat Shack? It would probably be easy than digging behind another box and pulling it! Expensive?

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yes ... do a check switch (no test required) on your working receivers. It will identify the switch and the connections.

That's actually what I was looking for when I asked what your other receivers were showing (since you were discussing the check dish screen on your "bad" receiver).

Also, if you have a power inserter make sure you kill that too.

EVERYTHING unplugged from power ... reconnect the power inserter, then the receivers. A check dish will be needed on the "bad" receiver.

17. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    I have seen those separators at Lowe's in the TV section made by OnQ.

Duh I forgot Check switch will tell you what switch you have.

18. eddiwill

eddiwill Cool Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Pics are coming... it SEEMS that unplugging all 3 and then plugging them back in has "solved" the problem. For how long, I don't know. Though I am thinking this means the splitter is OK?

I will post the pics of the wiring-- it's a mess-- you'll see another reason why I am not pleased with Dish.

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You may need to add a power inserter if it goes out again (inline between the receiver and port 1 of the switch). Driving three receivers draws power!

20. eddiwill

eddiwill Cool Member

Feb 19, 2007
    OK. Here is the pic of message I have been getting (and still got right after I did the unplug/replug thing).

Then I went out to shoot these pics of the cables. When I got back in, I had the other (better!) message.

Don't know if you can tell in the pic, but the one cable-- the one that goes into the side of the Terk device-- comes out and goes into a splitter looking thing that is connected to nothing at all! What's up with that?!

Thanks all you guys/gals-- your help is appreciated!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.