1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

"Family Tree" - Christopher Guest's new show on HBO

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, May 19, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I almost forgot to set a timer for this one last week. Boy, I'm glad I didn't forget.

In the spirit of Best in Show and A Mighty Wind, Christopher Guest has given us "Family Tree". Critics are indicating that it will take a few episodes before it really gets rolling, but all the promise was there in the first episode.

This show gently mocks, but also subtly respects, those who are led to pursue their genealogy by the accidental discovery of just one ancestor they didn't know know had existed.

It's a half hour a week of pure amusement for those who love Guest's work. From one review:
    The pilot is repeated Sunday prior to the airing of episode 2.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I set a Series Link for it but haven't started watching yet. With lots of shows ending this week I'm sure I'll have the time now.

Chris O'Dowd was awesome in "The IT Crowd" so I would have been recording it even if it weren't a Christopher Guest show, that's just icing on the cake.

3. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    That's one reason I was looking forward to this show. Guest seemingly finds the perfect talent for understated comedy.

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I was looking forward to this. But unfortunately, as with almost all HBO original comedies IMO, I don't like it at all. Very boring.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Did you see any of the movies Guest did that phrelin mentioned? Hated them, too? I'd be curious to know if there's a correlation, even a negative one.

I am setting a recording now, as I loved those flicks.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    No I haven't seen any of them. Though if the movies are like this show, I probably wouldn't like them either. But in the interest of fairness, if I notice them on a channel I'll give them a viewing. At worst I can sleep through them!! :)

7. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It's also being shown numerous times prior to Sunday- both of the first two eps.

8. swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    His movies have very understated humor, and use a mocking tone. "A Mighty Wind" is one of my favorite movies, but I can certainly understand someone tuning in and wondering what the heck it's all about.

This is Spinal Tap is a classic.

"But... this one goes to eleven".

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    "No, no, no... don't touch that. In fact, don't even look at it."

10. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Fred Willard appears in most of the movies- maybe all- that Guest has directed. Y'all may recall he was in the news not long ago. A favorite quote:

“I love Fred Willard,” Albert Brooks wrote after Willard was caught in a compromising position in a Hollywood film theater. “He's a great guy. For his birthday I'm getting him a den and a computer.”

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Humor is a very personal thing and I understand that this show isn't going to be for everyone.

What I've learned over the years is that a comedy show can be very popular but I don't get it - it just doesn't strike my funny bone. And on television, this occurs in cycles when I feel like I'm completely out of synch with our culture. I like Guest's stuff, but I do understand that it is not everyone's cup of tea.

12. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, to underscore part of what phrelin says, I will state, perhaps confess is a better word: I cannot stand the Three Stooges. There. So shoot me. The slapstick of Chaplin and some others of that era is, for me, not even close to being in the same boat; i.e., I loved much of it.

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Guest's comedy is for those of us who appreciate some "thinking" with their comedy. It's an acquired taste.