1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAMU" Drum Major Robert Champion's Hazing Death His Own Fault

Discussion in 'The OT' started by yosoyellobo, Sep 11, 2012.

1. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/famu-drum-...ng-death-fault/story?id=17208046#.UE-L0sUjlsx

"Florida A&M University denies responsibility for drum major Robert Champion's hazing death and insists that the "26 year old grown adult" chose to participate in the hazing ritual that caused his death, according to court documents."

The one question I have for the University is do their students have to sign a release in case they die participating in a hazing ritual?

2. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    FAMU should be added to the "School Boards Run Amok" honor roll. What a crock.

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    That is certainly a big part of it, but this statement sounds like something the lawyers out together to mitigate responsibility in coming lawsuits.

The fact that a dance team was suspended for a similar incident just a couple of weeks ago speaks to a tremendous lack of oversight on the part of the Administration though.

4. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    To me it is simple the school either are or are not responsible. If they think they are not they should spell it out and inform the students. As for "26 year old grown adult" I am not too sure that I am one and I am 69 years old.:)

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Did Robert Champion signed a release stating he knew he was placing his life at risk?

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Perhaps they should have. The current push is to have all students sign a no hazing pledge ... which could be seen as a release in such cases. Perhaps that is why the university is pushing for the pledge.

My first reaction is that it is disgusting to blame the victim ... but there are a lot of questions. I wonder how many times Mr Champion participated in the ritual as one of the beaters? It has been reported that he wanted to participate in the event to gain the respect of his peers. People do a lot of irresponsible things to impress others.

If he was a fresh out of high school 18 or 19 year old young adult doing stupid things would be more expected. At some age one has to accept responsibility for their own actions.

As for the university, I see three unrelated yet related problems. All three relate to what did the university know, when did they know it and what was their reaction.

At FAMU was the hazing something that administrators or other "adult supervision" knew about and simply let the kids have their "fun"? Were these rituals akin to gang initiations silently accepted until someone got killed?

At the University of Colorado was banning James Holmes from campus when he was seen as a threat enough or should more have been done to protect the community (other than to simply push Holmes out of the university community and let the chips fall where they may)?

At Penn State were the sanctions taken against Jerry Sandusky when he was discovered enough or should more have been done to immediately turn him over to authorities so he could have been prosecuted years ago for his abuse of children?

How many more universities have skeletons in their closets? Do any of them really want to expose their own history of sweeping their problems under their rugs?

7. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    When I went to university (SUNY/Buffalo), the school outlawed Greeks. I loved it.

Today, they're allowed, and they've had a lot of problems (apparently, this is 2nd hand info).

Who the heck needs these cliques that serve only to keep people out. At least that's what they look like from the outside, although I know some do really great charity work.