1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Fans Canceling SiriusXM Subscriptions in Wake of Cohost’s Firing

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Fans Canceling SiriusXM Subscriptions in Wake of Cohost’s Firing

(The Blaze) - “Opie and Anthony” fans are canceling subscriptions to SiriusXM in reaction to the satellite radio company firing cohost Anthony Cumia last week for racially charged tweets, according to The Wrap....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]
    Anthony Cumia speaks at SiriusXM’s O&A20: Unmasked With Opie & Anthony Special Celebrates 20 Years Of Opie & Anthony at
    Carolines On Broadway on April 17, 2014 in New York City. (Image source: Cindy Ord/Getty Images for SiriusXM)

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    While I never have listened to them myself, I was in the car with someone that had it on (who just called to cancel). It seems to me this is kind of their thing. Kind of like "don't hire a shock jock if you don't want them to say anything controversial".

However, I don't see this as a free speech issue like some comments in the original article suggest.

3. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I'm a long time listener of O&A. But, over the past few years, I've found myself turning the show off more and more often due to Anthony's angry and racist rants. If Sirius wanted to fire Anthony for referring to black people (or Muslims) as "savages" or any of the other slurs that he used in his tweets, they could have done so a long time ago. They didn't need to wait for him to tweet these slurs, they just needed to listen to the show for a few weeks.

Firing him for tweeting the exact same crap that he's been saying on SirusXM airwaves seems pretty hypocritical to me. I don't disagree with him being fired. But it probably should have been done so due to virtually identical show content instead of something written on Twitter.

4. SteveHas

SteveHas Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2007
    Anyone of any race, creed or religion that uses violence like this is a savage, and is not human.
    Period.

5. jeslevine

jeslevine AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 21, 2002
    I didn't need O&A to cancel my subscription 5 years ago.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    All the news seems to be about his firing. What happen to the assailants? Were they arrested? Did he file charges against them? After being beat up by six people, was he injured? All the photos seem to be file photos.

7. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Even by his own account, he wasn't beaten up by 6 people. He was hit by a woman who he called a "n***** cause that's what she WAS!". "Then she punched me 5 more times" "Then 5 blacks started giving me s***"

I don't remember where I saw the quote, but he said that he didn't involve the police because he didn't want to waste their time.

8. bertman64

bertman64 AllStar

Aug 24, 2007
    I have 2 Lifetime subs. I bought in 2005 for 499 plus tax each. I just renewed a 6 month sub. on a Ford Explorer I bought 6 months ago. I listened to Howard Stern when he was first on Sirius and he used the N. word frequently and didn't seem to mind saying it even to Robin Quivers. I think he has censored himself but it's not fair that he get a pass while O. and A. get axed!