1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Farewell Mr. Harwell

Discussion in 'The OT' started by spartanstew, May 5, 2010.

1. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Many days of my youth/adulthood were spent listening to Ernie Harwell.

A class act and he'll be sorely missed.

2. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I saw that a little while ago.... A sad day for baseball, and more specifically Tigers fans, for sure.

3. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    yep agree truely a sad day for baseball he will be missed Godspeed Ernie you will be missed.

4. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Sad day for baseball, another true "voice" of a team is gone. RIP Mr Harwell.

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Man was a legend and a genuinely nice guy. His obit in today's New York Times is a good read.

"He conveyed warmth through a relaxed and humorous style that mixed the precise details of the game, player anecdotes, tales about his wife, Lulu, and idiosyncratic phrases that defined him to millions of listeners.

A player retired on a called third strike “stood there like the house by the side of the road” or was “called out for excessive window shopping.” A double play was “two for the price of one.” A foul ball that reached the stands was caught by “a man from Saginaw” or any other city or town that came to mind at the moment."

Heard on the news this morning he's being honored tonight by Fordham University's radio station, along with CBS's Bob Schieffer.

6. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    God bless you, Ernie. You were the voice of summer while I was growing up. There will never be another like you. :(

7. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    :(

Ernie was simply great.
    I listened to him almost every day as a kid.
    He was a big part of my childhood memories.
    Baseball will never be quite the same.

8. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I heard on the radio on the way to work that they're having a public viewing at Comerica park today. Started at 7:00 am and will last until every person who wants to pay their respects has had the opportunity to do so!

I also saw a quote yesterday from Jon Miller, he said Ernie Harwell told him "On TV, you get the 'movie verson'. Radio is the Novel".

While my youth was spent listening to other radio announcers... it's sad to have another one of the greats taken from us.

9. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I used to listen to Ernie Harwell on WJR when I lived in Erie, PA with my grandfather on summer nights. He was a Tigers fan (I was a Yankees fan). I can still remember the hot humid nights sitting on my grandfather's front porch listen on his little battery operated radio to Mr. Harwell calling balls and strikes. I can hear his call even now. RIP Mr. Harwell. I wasn't a Tigers fan, but you made me actually root for them at times (when they weren't playing NY).