1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fast forward fallback adjustable?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by chroma601, Aug 28, 2013.

1. chroma601

chroma601 Cool Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Sylva, NC
    One of the things I missed about DirecTV was the ease of controlling the PVR. The Motorola cable box I had had a clunky interface, and skipping commercials was actually difficult. One of the coolest features of the DirecTV PVR is that it automatically backs up a little when you hit Play.

But I guess my reaction time is a bit off, as it never goes back far enough and I still have to rewind a little. I think the amount it drops back is dependent on the FF speed.

Is there a way for the user to adjust the fallback amount so that it matches my slower reaction time? I think my old Tivo was adjustable...

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Not that I know of. If you consistently use FF 3X, you can learn when to hit Play with little or no need to adjust.

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    No, there is no way to adjust it.

Which model DVR are you using? I think there is a known issue with the Genies (HR34, HR44) not backing up as far as the regular DVRs do (HR2x).

4. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I'd love if the jump back time was adjustable. Using HDNETs test pattern, it appears my hr44 is 5 seconds. I think it was 6 seconds on my hr24. That second does seem to make a big difference for those of us who use 30 second skip on commercials.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I'd love if the jump back time was adjustable. Using HDNETs test pattern, it appears my hr44 is 5 seconds. I think it was 6 seconds on my hr24. That second does seem to make a big difference for those of us who use 30 second skip on commercials.
    um there is zero barring at all if you use skip or slip. Only ffwd and rewd.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

6. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I was referring to the skip back button, that was 6 seconds on the hr24 and 5 on the hr44. I rarely use ff or rw. I realize now the OP was talking about ff. my bad.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I was referring to the skip back button, that was 6 seconds on the hr24 and 5 on the hr44. I rarely use ff or rw. I realize now the OP was talking about ff. my bad.
    oh ok. That makes more sense. I wish you could also set the skip time to 20 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

8. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I find 30SKIP to more convenient

9. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Fast-Forward seems to only work properly on local recordings. When viewing 'whole home' recordings from another receiver the 'auto-correct' jump back is whacked. I think with the Genie's it doesn't jump back at all - just starts playing from where it is when you hit 'play'.

It also seems that the longer you fast-forward the more it jumps back.

Again this is only on remote recordings. Seems to work consistently on local recordings.

This has been the case for some time - maybe forever but at least since the HDGUI update that caused so much grief.

There is no way to 'adjust' the jump back time unfortunately.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I use the FF2 and when I feel that I am close to the end of the commercials I drop back to FF1 and then to Play.
    Using the Rewind button drops you back from FF 1 step at a time and even into Play so you don't have to switch buttons to make it happen.

11. MISpat

MISpat Legend

Apr 21, 2009
    Not that this answers your question, but I wish I could turn it off entirely! Makes it a b*%^ when you're fast forwarding through a recording and want to stop on something specific.

1 person likes this.