1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Christmas Specials

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by fluffybear, Dec 13, 2010.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    With Christmas fast approaching, I thought it might be interesting to discuss some of our favorite Christmas specials/movies..

Mrs. Fluffybear and I are big Rowan Atkinson fans and it just is not Christmas without 'Black Adder Christmas Carol'. A movie which I use to enjoy (have not seen it on in years) and always put me in the holiday spirit was "The man in the Santa Claus Suit' with Fred Astaire

2. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Blackaddder should be mentioned in the retro tv thread Great Show Loved Hugh Laurie in it. I cant belive the same actor plays that prick House.

I love those oldies like Santa Clause is coming to town and Rudolph the rednose reindeer.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I still love A Christmas Story. I still smile every time a package comes that says, "FRAGILE."

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Frank Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life" - I recorded it and put it on DVD last time or two it was on, so I'll bring it to work on the 24th.

5. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Have not yet been able to find Rudolph in the program guide. Daughter watched 'Santa Claus is coming to Town' and 'The year without a Santa Claus' earlier this evening but still no go with Rudolph

6. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It was on November 30th. Here's a 2010 TV Christmas Holiday Schedule - Specials & Movies.

http://www.chiff.com/home_life/holiday/christmas/whats-on-tv.htm

7. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Thanks!

It never dawned on me that they would put it on that soon after Thanksgiving. This is one of those classics which really needs to be shown relatively close to Christmas...

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    For me it's A Christmas Carol (1984) with George C. Scott. I just finished watching it on Fox Movie Channel.

9. Polardog

Polardog Legend

Mar 4, 2008
    Babes In Toyland (March of the Wooden Soldiers) 1934 movie with Laurel & Hardy. Always watched this as kids during the Christmas season but haven't seen it on TV for many years now.

10. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    The original Miracle on 34th St has been my all time favorite classic Christmas movie. I do love The Santa Clause with Tim Allen though.

11. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...

The first Miracle on 34th Street which I ever saw was the 1973 version with Sebastian Cabot playing the role of Kris Kringle. It was not until I was an adult before I ever saw the original and I have to agree there is just something special about the original version.

12. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    "A Charlie Brown Christmas"...

"Lights, please."

13. Casey21

Casey21 Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Movies :)
    1938 A Christmas Carol (Great - most resembles the Dickens classic)
    1942 Holiday Inn (singing White Christmas - using his pipe to tap bells on the tree - classic)
    1944 Meet me in St. Louis (not totally xmas but i love the scene where Judy Garland sings Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - will always bring a tear to my eye - reminds me of family that is far away)!
    1945 Christmas in Connecticut (always wanted to live on that farm)
    1946 It's a Wonderful Life (another couple of tears to my eyes - "I want to Live")
    1947 Miracle on 34th Street (BEST version)
    1983 A Christmas Story (who doesn't like seeing a kid with their tongue stuck to a frozen pole - i grew up in the midwest so this is totally plausible)

Cartoons :)
    A Charlie Brown Christmas
    Rudolph (not happy in my work I guess - I can identify with Hermey the Elf)
    The Grinch who stole Christmas
    Santa Claus is coming to Town (obviously i'm a sucker for stop animation)
    Hardrock, Coco, and Joe AND Suzie Snowflake (very old b&w cartoon from Chicago tv growing up - you can find a video of it on the internet)

14. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Does anyone remember a few years back (maybe 15 or so) when a station out out early on "Grinch who stole Christmas" (as memory serves, it was just after the grinch had stolen everything) for a weather break and the uproar that caused?

Another movie that I have not seen mentioned yet in this thread is 'Home Alone'

15. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Ahhh...another of my favorites!

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    These are mine:
    Christmas Story
    Home Alone (only one please)
    Grinch (original cartoon of course)
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    Alastair Sim's Christmas Carol
    Charlie Brown Christmas
    It's a Wonderful Life

17. DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector Legend

May 4, 2008
    I always seem to be the only one of my friends who's ever heard of it, but growing up I always had to watch the cartoon "Santa and the Three Bears". It's about 2 young bear cubs who learn about Christmas from a Park Ranger and decide to stay awake instead of hibernating just to meet Santa Clause.

I believe it came out in the early 1970's, and was normally on syndicated tv a weekend or two before Christmas. I remember it being mostly animated with a few live-action scenes, but you can find it on Hulu in a shortened animation-only version.

18. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    For me its would be I'll Be Home For Christmas with Jonathan Taylor Thomas. Great Disney movie. Me and the kids love watching it. Already pulled it out of the closet once this holiday season. Might have to watch Christmas Vacation again as well.

19. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Christmas episode of Spieberg's old Amazing Stories series, called "Santa '85".

Available on DVD, Amazing Stories Season 1, Disk 2.

20. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is one of the few, if not only, Christmas special/movies that mentions what Christmas is all about.