1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Favorite MLB Broadcasting crew

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Dr_Jim, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Dr_Jim

Dr_Jim Cool Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Ordinarily I mute the volume and just watch the game, but there are a few exceptions.

Being a Red Sox fan, I llisten to Don Orsillo and Rem Dog. Since I usually find myself watching more of the late west coast games, I do enjoy the Angels, Mariners, and Giants team; and I especially like the Diamondback crew of Sutton and Gracie as they remind me a little of the old Barves announcer Skip Caray. Ironically growing up in Florida for many years all I had was the Braves games and I never liked (the father) Don Sutton. And even though I don't like Hawk Harrilson that much, now that he is teamed with Steve Stone, will listen to them.

2. May 1, 2009 #2 of 40
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Anyone besides Tim "Back-when-I-played" McCarver.

3. May 1, 2009 #3 of 40
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    My favorite crew comes from the 70's and 80's when NBC was doing baseball.

Joe Garagiola & Tony Kubek

4. May 1, 2009 #4 of 40
    txtommy

txtommy Icon

Dec 30, 2006
    Add Jon Miller and Joe Morgan to the 'anybody besides' list.

5. May 1, 2009 #5 of 40
    bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I've lived in Northern KY all my life so the Reds are my team (once a real blessing, lately not as much) and I'll take Marty Brennaman over anyone (he only does radio but I'll turn that on and turn down the TV). Nostalgia dictates that "The Old Left Hander" Joe Nuxhall is my favorite all-time partner of his but it's hard to complain about it when he and Thom are both on at the same time - even if it is rare.

6. May 1, 2009 #6 of 40
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Joe Morgan aka Dr. Obvious. I've actually heard him say, many times;
    "You have to score runs to win."
    "The key to hitting is making contact."
    "Stealing bases puts runners in position to score."
    :rolleyes:

7. Jun 1, 2009 #7 of 40
    max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    Add steve phillips as well what a waste why is that guy on there.it's clear that Joe doesn't like him. 3 annoucers is too many-yes add tim mcarver as well. I usually listen to our radio guys when my cubs are playing.

8. Jun 2, 2009 #8 of 40
    Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I love to listen to Vin Scully call games.

9. Jun 2, 2009 #9 of 40
    sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    I disagree on Miller, maybe not the best on ESPN but there's nobody better when he's calling Giants games. He can take a boring inning and make it interesting. Being a Giants fan in general I do enjoy Kruk and Kuip. Plus, you gotta give Kuiper credit, he went from being a ball player to doing play by play not many can pull that off smoothly.

10. redfiver

redfiver DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Kuip went from playing ball, to doing color with Hank Greenwald, to then finally doing play by play with Mike Krukow. Kruk and Kuip make a great team.

But, I also enjoy Jon Miller. I like him on ESPN, but can't stand Joe and Steve. I always like him on Giants broadcast, especially on the radio when it's just him. Great commentary.

But, as someone above said, Vin Scully is great. No matter how much I hate the Dodgers (and boy, being a Giants fan, do I hate the dodgers...), Vin Scully is a great broadcaster.

11. redfiver

redfiver DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Joe Buck is horrible as well. He's such a homer, even with national games. I truely hate this guy. He even said he thinks baseball is boring and he doesn't like calling baseball games. I rarely watch Fox Saturday baseball, mainly because of Joe Buck (McCarver doesn't help....). And, the post season sucks when these two yahoos get involved. I really really really dislike Buck and McCarver

12. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    You can also add Len Casper and Bob Brenly for the Cubs. They wont even admit that the team is playing poorly it's always an excuse. They are about as boring and talk about nothing during the whole game. I listen to Pat Hughes and Ron Santo they are great during the games Ron really gets into it. I was wondering how your guys tv announcers compare or is it about the same.

13. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Michael Kay, Al Leiter, and Paul O'Neill on YES Network. Very entertaining and insightful, and they don't root for the Yankees, like other team's announcers do. The YES guys are very neutral.

Some teams announcers talk badly about the opposing team and do actually root on the air for their team. I thought these announcer guys were supposed to be impartial on the air. Many of them aren't.

14. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    WHOA!! The YES guys are very neutral?!!! :lol: I'm sorry but that's funny. Now if you take Kay out of the booth I MIGHT agree with you. My favorite YES team is Kenny Singleton, Paul O'Neill and/or Al Leiter. Kay has got to be the most irritating announcer around, yes even more so than the above mentioned doozies like Morgan, McCarver etc. Putting Michael Kay in the booth is like having Mike Francesa there. :D:lol:

15. max1

max1 Godfather

Aug 12, 2005
    Dan,your home team annoucers should be partial to your team. If not then they are not true fans of the team and should not be announcing. I remember one time when the cubs playing the mets and cubs got out of a bases loaded jam and Chip Carray said to steve stone why cant these mets score with bases loaded and steve stone just looked at him dumbfounded it wasnt a good look.At least Harry was a Cubs fan. Like i say it's interesting to see what people think of there announcers-max.

16. redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy (of course :D). Dennis Eckersley has done an admirable job in Jerry's absence.

17. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I have to say I miss RemDog. Any idea how much longer he'll be out?!

18. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I really liked George Kell and Al Kaline when they used to do the Tiger games. Kaline was a bit of a dunce, but they worked very well together. Of course, I'd listen to Ernie Harwell and anybody.

Currently, I really like Josh Lewin. He announced for the Tigers about 10 years ago and now broadcasts for the Rangers. I don't listen to the Rangers very often, but he also does Fox National Games.

19. redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
  20. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    My favorite announcer for baseball is Vin Scully.

Btw, does anyone know if you can get all the Dodgers feeds (home and away) on MLB Extra Innings (in HD)?